Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was foolish enough to install a receiver hitch under my Fleetwood. I say foolish because I'm dragging regularly and live in northern MI. So, now I'd like to wire for trailer lights. Everything I see is $65 and comes with a bunch of wires that look to me to be extra. I see a connector right by the bumper; can't I just put in some kind of T at that point and call it good, or won't that get me everything I need?

I won't tow anything with brakes or anything fancy. Just blinkers and brakes. Advice please?

While I'm at it, I need to pick up a dirt bike rack for the receiver hitch as well. Anyone have a rise adapter they like and can recommend a safe[ish] amount of rise? I'm not sure 4" is enough, but don't really want the things any higher than I need.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used the Curt 55347 kit for my Fleetwood. It's about $20 with instructions. It plugs into the car's harness and ends with the traditional 4-wire flat plug. I ran it behind the trim carpet and cut a slit to one of the retainer studs, where I zip-tied it so it just comes out just to the left of the trunk latch. That way I can slide the excess line behind the lining when it's not connected to a trailer.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
I attempted a simple flat 4-wire pigtail connector and found the blinking slow and unsatisfactory. I ended up with a kit that includes a relay powered by separate wired hot run from under the hood, and spliced signal wires inside the trunk for weather protection. More than the cheapest solution, but properly functioning for a dozen years with just a little dielectric grease on the trailer plug every few years.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
It's a Hidden Hitch #31824. $35.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts