Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CustomCaddys LTx FleetwoodV: http://youtu.be/e95sQ8akBwU

sooo it's cold, and i got bored... hopefully that link works

any other go fast woods on here? i caught wind of a procharged BBC wood in my area that I need to investigate about.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Damn Delightful

Wondrous vision of mono color. Watched twice, could not tell if all the rocker trim is flat blacked?

·
Registered
89 Posts
2 thumbs up!

Video was great that things a beast!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Awesome video.

I've been waiting for you to post an update. What are you running in the 1/4?

My 94 Fleetwood has been sitting outdoors since 2007. I keep saying I am going to do something much like you have done, but I never get around to it. The primary issue is that I haven't had the space for a project. I just visited the car yesterday and one of the rear quarters has begun to rust to the point of flaking off, mice have made a nest in the glovebox, etc. It has 95k miles and was rust-free when it was parked. Not sure if it's worth building or if I should buy another Fleet as a starting point.

But, some day, I plan to have a blacked-out hardtop Fleetwood with an absolutely obnoxious drivetrain :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome video.

I've been waiting for you to post an update. What are you running in the 1/4?

My 94 Fleetwood has been sitting outdoors since 2007. I keep saying I am going to do something much like you have done, but I never get around to it. The primary issue is that I haven't had the space for a project. I just visited the car yesterday and one of the rear quarters has begun to rust to the point of flaking off, mice have made a nest in the glovebox, etc. It has 95k miles and was rust-free when it was parked. Not sure if it's worth building or if I should buy another Fleet as a starting point.

But, some day, I plan to have a blacked-out hardtop Fleetwood with an absolutely obnoxious drivetrain :D
Yeah, I think you should buy another rust-free low mileage Fleetwood as a starting point and let that one rot away like the first one.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Heh. :D

If there's a little rust on a panel and some mice in the glovebox I am gonna vote with: It's probably good enough to fix.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If I only had a dollar for every car I tried to buy for a restoration project where the owner would not sell (to me), but instead either it is still sitting in their back yard 20 years later or they gave it away to a junk yard after having let it sit for 20 years.

(or I am sure a few were victims of the clunker program).

Restore it or sell it to someone who will.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's there were cars from the 40's and 50's in every backyard in the county(and the 60's, but we were still driving those every day). And yep, just about everyone had that "I'm gonna fix it up some day" spiel.

Worst example, I think, was a 57 Bel Air that someone had stuffed a 409 and 4 speed in. Car was burgundy, loaded, they'd raced it in the early 70's if I remember right. Next to it was a 37 coupe. Was the old man's first car. He started them both once a week (or so he said). Could have drove either one home but he wouldn't sell them.

He died in the late 90's(if memory serves), his family sent both to a salvage yard that crushed them before anyone had a clue they were even selling them. I'd still like to dig him up and beat him...

Oh, yeah, there's STILL a 58 Oldsmobile sitting in a backyard here in town. Been there since at least 1980. I recently hit up the grandson of the guy I talked to way back then and he won't sell it, either! "Gonna fix 'er up some day". Jesus wept. Damn thing is sunk in the ground to the rockers...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used to restore cars as a hobby. It never took me more than 6 months and $20,000 to do a frame off restoration on any of them, often less time and money than that. I did everything myself except machine work, plating and seat upholstery/headliner. I did all the other mechanicals, body/paint, interior and assembly. Most cars I did in a carport (except paint, where I would rent a booth). The only help I needed was lifting the body off or back onto the frame.

I cannot afford to do this anymore, so I don't. So I do not have a car sitting somewhere that I am going to restore "someday". My motto is: "anything worth doing, is worth doing NOW".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts