Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replace their clutch fan with one of these? I was thinking about getting one until I get around to going electric. I am wondering how much drag is reduced and if its worth the 50 bucks. Another reason it looks a little nicer under the hood too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Performance wise, they actually create more drag than a properly working clutch fan. A clutch freewheels below a certian temprature or above a certian RPM depending what type you have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I was thinking the flex fan would create less drag since they weigh less for one thing, and also the higher rpm will flatten out the blades, creating less drag. I have never heard that they robbed more horsepower than stock clutch fans before...

Why is it then people buy them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they flatten out at high rpm, creating a spinning wall for the air.
The flex fan knows RPM, the thermostatic clutch fan knows air temp crossing the front of it. Which do you think would be best to control temperature??
Except for their limited capacity, the electric is the best all around IMO.
The blades can be designed to be optimal at the one speed it spins at.
Mechanical fans are a bit of a compromise, as they have to work over a wide rpm range.
The latest craze from the manufactures is PCM controlled hydraulic fans powered by the PS system.
They have all bases covered. Power, control, noise.

Oh yeah back to the flex fan. I have seen more than one after they have thrown a blade.
Not a pretty sight.
Regards, Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Why is it then people buy them?[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because people don't ask me first.

:D

Just kidding, it's because everyone else with a 74-79 Elcamino or Camaro has one! Sorry, I can't help myself.

Seriously, the motor is only turning the fan at low RPM or high tempratures (when barely moving in very slow traffic or at the drive through at Taco Bell).

At lower temps or higher RPM's the clutch disengages and the motor is only driving the clutch fan shaft, not the entire fan.

Now if the clutch fan is siezed, the motor would be turning the fan all the time and it would sound like there is a hurricane under your hood driving down the road.

Flex fans can grenade like 95 Wagon said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a flex fan in our 76 Camaro and it threw a blade and sliced a nice hole in the hood. Haven't thought of using one since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.