Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever installed their own flip down? I'm not too worried about the wiring aspects of this, just looking into the mounting aspect of it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Its real easy. Plus the power and ground you need are right there from the dome light. When I installed mine I fabbed up a bracket that I mounted to the dome light bracket. Once you get the headliner down you will see what I am talking about. Been installed for around 7 years with no issues at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
when i do larger screen installs i take the headliner down and screw a piece of 1/4 mdf to the bracing that goes across the "ceiling" then put headliner back up screw metal plate into the board and screw screen into plate

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

I wired mine to my domelight and it ended up killing my battery even when the was off so make sure you wire in a switch to the main power wire going into your TV

·
Registered
284 Posts
any updates on this type of install. i will be putting in one this winter?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just installed mine today. used the power from dome light. for some reason the interior lights wont go off. i have to pull the fuse to get them to turn off. any suggestions????

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't think that's the issue. It still does it with doors open or closed... Maybe the whole interior lighting system is a circuit and when I took down the dome light I jacked it up...

·
Registered
226 Posts

I wired mine to my domelight and it ended up killing my battery even when the was off so make sure you wire in a switch to the main power wire going into your TV

That looks goooood! Can u post more pics but in different
angles, I really like dat.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That looks goooood! Can u post more pics but in different
angles, I really like dat.
Where's the Dat in the photo??;)
Hahaha just giving ya a hard time.
But yes more photo's please. The Overhead looks
awesome aswell as those Bonne's in there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
bump. need assistance on why my interior lights wont turn off after i installed my flip down. i wired it too my dome light.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
bump. need assistance on why my interior lights wont turn off after i installed my flip down. i wired it too my dome light.
this isn't going to help much but all I can say is you deffinitly have a grounding issue. it's been so long since I had my headliner down I think theres an orange wire wich is constant 12v and a black wire that BECOMES ground when the lights turn on so it sounds like you mite of grounded a wire and thats why your lights mite stay on. also I don't have any updated pics I mite be able to find some

·
Registered
284 Posts
yeah there are two wires. maybe i should just ground the flip down to a differet place.. just a shot in the dark.. i may just take it down and forget it

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I remember correctly there should be 3 wires. 1 power, 1 ground, and 1 open ground << this is the one that turns the lights on when the door is open.

if you are just running 1 ground then the interior lights are always grounded and stay on.

Im at work right now but let me go out to my car and pull my coat hook lights out and check for wires. They are the same for the domes and all interior lighting that deals with the doors opening.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I remember correctly there should be 3 wires. 1 power, 1 ground, and 1 open ground << this is the one that turns the lights on when the door is open.

if you are just running 1 ground then the interior lights are always grounded and stay on.

Im at work right now but let me go out to my car and pull my coat hook lights out and check for wires. They are the same for the domes and all interior lighting that deals with the doors opening.

on the dome there was two wires that went into the dome light housing. it was a white clip that i cut to get my power and ground. i checked it with my multimeter and it was constant power.

·
Registered
284 Posts
here is a pic of the dome light removed as you see there are two wires and the clip is still on there.

·
Registered
834 Posts
just checked and took a picture of the harness for my coat lights which is the same wiring for the dome. . You should have 3 wires for the lights to work properly. 1 power, 1 ground , 1 open ground.

1. power wire = constant power source.
2. Ground wire = ground to any metal bracket above headliner. this ground is so you can turn the lights on with your dimmer switch.
3. Open ground = connects to door pin switches ground. It completes the grounding circuit to turn the lights on when the door is open.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ill have to check when i get home on the impala. I have dome lights with wiring in my parts box. From the pic you posted it looks like the dome light was on sideways from the crease in the headliner?

Its highly possible it only has 2 wires. Im pretty sure you have to run another ground. Those wires you posted = 1 for constant power, and 1 for the door pin switches. if thats the case then you will only have to run 1 wire for ground and that can be tapped into any metal bracket above the headliner.

Its been many moons since ive had my headliner down and its hard to check it now cuz I have a flipdown installed in the Impala and overhead counsole in my caprice.

Im going from my old memory so forgive me cwm6.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yeah thats what im gonna do. i will dc the ground that is up there than just run a seperate ground and see if that helps

1 - 20 of 31 Posts