Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Flipping Ebay Bidders

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  ScottLC 
#1 ·
I dont understand why people see something on Ebay for cheap and feel the need to bid on it with 6 days left in the auction. My theory is wait until the last few hrs and battle it out, that way you have a chance of getting the item you want cheap. If you bid on it early in the auction all thats going to do is make the price sky rocket because someone else is going to see that you bidded on the item and they are going to feel the need to bid also so your going to end up paying alot more money than you have too. So just watch the item and catch it before the auction ends.

I am not singling anyone out just my thought on the whole ebay situation.

I was watching 2 lower dash for a 96 Impala, both in good condition. One started off at $49.99 and the other one started at $100.00. Well to make a long story short. The dash for $49.99 ended up reaching $100.00 with 5 days left in the auction so who knows what it will do in the remaining days. If thats the case they should have just bidded on the $100.00 dash and been done with the whole situation.

I think people just like the thrill of bidding on an auction.

JMO.

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought that too but if you look at the bidding history you will see that once that person see they are outbidded they come back and bid even higher. Trust me I am a Ebay regular. I search all aspects of ebay especially when I see something I am interested in. With a little research you can see who bidding how much they bidding and when they are bidding. Sometimes I thing the people who put stuff on ebay have a seperate account that they use just to raise their auction. If they win their own auction they not loosing money and then they relist saying something like. "Relisting because of Non paying Bidder".

Just Food For Thought.

#4 ·
I like looking at ebay but i don't think i would buy like a automobile off ebay, don't trust who's bidding against me. Too many times dealerships have their people bid the car up or friends help indivuals get the bidding going or increase bids. so i don't trust the concept on auto buying on ebay.

Now small parts might be something more of a need or interest if you have the car already just needing some parts.

Been thinking of purchasing some new VHS tapes on ebay due to they don't sell them anywhere in stores anymore.

#5 ·
The only way I would ever buy a car on ebay is if the seller took pictures of nearly every square inch of the car. I did bid on an Impala about a month ago; didn't meet reserve but the seller offered me what I thought was a deal on it. So I drove out and looked at it, and let's just say that "it's a driver" and "runs a little rough until it warms up" can mean a lot of things.

#10 ·
The only way I would ever buy a car on ebay is if the seller took pictures of nearly every square inch of the car. I did bid on an Impala about a month ago; didn't meet reserve but the seller offered me what I thought was a deal on it.
The only vehicle I ever bought on e-bay -- was not even on e-bay! There were over 50 pics of this particular virginal looking 3500 Crewcab. There were pics of everything, including one taken of a scratch that was impossible to even see. I called the seller, determined he was a pretty straight dealer-type, but told him I would not be bidding with his reserve based on KBB and NADA. He ended up getting very few bids, then re-listed, then I called again, then repeated I wouldn't be bidding even with his lowered reserve, and then called again after the auction to arrange a deal, for all intents and purposes sight unseen.

I likely won't attempt that again real soon though. Don't wanna overplay my luck. ;)

#11 ·
Just pay for anything with Paypal.if there is a problem they always side with the buyer and refund all money paid.

#13 ·
Sometimes bidding early on in the auction scares other people away from bidding or watching the item and thinking that maybe they could steal it in the last few minutes. I know when I list something to sell the lower the starting price the more bids you get.

#14 ·
I bought my Fleetwood off eBay from a dealer in VA. 100k later she is still rolling fine. it was sun damaged that didn't show in the 55 pictures, but can't all be perfect. I threw $6500 at it about 4 yrs ago...and never looked back.

#16 ·
I'm near Seattle and bought my wife's Avalanche out of Texas on ebay. Prices on trucks up here are usually high, so I was able to buy the truck, ship it, pay taxes and still come out about $4000 less than the average asking price up here.

I ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pics, though.

#17 ·
Yeah, I hate it when people jump right in on an auction. They almost never win but they almost always cause the price to climb excessively. Well, I like them when I am selling... But the serious people show up at the end and most of my auctions that have amounted to anything have seen the majority of the money show up in the last 90 seconds.

Personally I bid once: At 2 seconds I drop the bid I already have prepped, assuming no other nut has run the price up. Sniping is the only way to go. Really, it's the only fun part of ebay that still hasn't been screwed up. It's how I scored those Grott headers a few months back for cheap.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.