Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me for this info and knew I had posted it a while ago but had a hard time finding that thread. Think due to the title so I just wanted to link that thread here for others interested in converting from a Column Shift to a Floor Shift setup and have the 96 Column too.

The major difference is in the Neutral Saftey/Backup Light Switch. This switch is on the 94-95 column and on the 96 Floor shift cars is mounted to the shifter. The other big difference is that the 94-95 Column has 5 Wires on 3 Connectors while the Shifter setup has 6 Wires on 1 Connector mounted to the shifter.

Here is what worked best for me and years later have never had an issue with this setup. Some dont bother replacing the Column Shift and just remove the arm and patch the hole in the column. I decided to swap in the column for a true factory look.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/233687-96-steering-column-swap-nuetral-switch-wiring-info.html

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:smile2::smile2: Yeah time does fly by yet the best Forum Lives and has tons of helpful info. I refer to old info here all the time, just got to dig a little. To heck with Facebook for Impala tech info. I just can't get used to that site and hope we never lose our beloved Forum and all this data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m currently doing the floor shifter swap in my caprice I got it wired up but when I turn the key to the on position my mileage, speedometer, or shift position is not coming up on the dash. I’m wanted to see where I went wrong at? Also my pass key fault is blinking but I think I know why it’s doing that. Can someone please give me some assistance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts