Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm getting a bunch of vibration while driving, seems like the flywheel is out of balance. And if not its time for an upgrade anyway coz the tranny is coming out either way.

Figured i'd go with a lighter aluminum flywheel.
One of the threads on here it was mentioned that one would loose some launch power but add power at top end.
what are the other advantages/disadvantages of an aluminum flywheel? and if not aluminum maybe something else someone could recommend?

Any specific brands are better then the other?
Is summit the best place to get one from?

Thanks for all the help.

· Registered
6,534 Posts
a flywheel (stick car) does not "go out of balance"...there is a dowel pin hole to line the FW up to the crank so the cast weight on it is in the correct position...confirm it is on that way.

I would go steel FW not AL on a b-body

you said no motor work so assume your's is a external balance motor. If rebuilt "internal" balance motor than you need to get the stock FW neutral balanced or buy a neutral balance FW

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks BALLSS

there is work to the engine yet, but i might be putting some aluminum heads on. doubt that it will affect the balancing in any way thought. would it?

the flywheel has a bunch of heat spots from the burnt up clutch. is there a lighter steel fw that i can go with?

· Premium Member
5,630 Posts
Aluminum heads won't have any affect on the balance of the motor.

Did the vibration start after you did the T56 swap, has it gotten progressively worse? Even with hot spots on the fly wheel this won't cause vibration, maybe chatter when you take off but not vibration.

How many miles are on the motor? Have you checked the harmonic balancer it could have spun the pulley on it causing vibration, it is only held together by rubber. Sometimes when they get older they can deteriorate causing this problem. Not likely but something to look at.

Has it vibrated since you installed the T56? or did you buy the car with the 6 speed installed. The reason I ask is the pressure plate could be off of the balancing mark on the the flywheel and may cause this.

Just giving you some ideas as like Ball said the flywheel won't go out of balance unless it was that was to begin with and you would of had vibration to start with. You should be able to get a lighter steel flywheel from Summit, just search under 97 camaro, that should get you were you need to be. But I highly doubt that it is the flywheel causing the vibration.

Mike

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
94MI9C1 hmm now that you mentioned it i think there was always minor vibration when my buddy put the t56 in. but maybe the shop that put the flywheel on screwed up?
eh screw it, i'll get a new flywheel from summit. and rebuild the transmission again :), so that i have reverse when i'm done:) thank a lot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.