Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I hop in my 96 Civi Caprice to leave work. I back up approximately 3/4ths of a car length and there's a bang and the car jolts to a stop (tires even squawked.) I'm looking around thinking I hit something or somebody put something under my car that I ran over. I don't see anything, pull forward, still nothing. I put the car in reverse and all I hear is a tinny spinning rattle sound. Put it in drive and it pulls forward again. Put it in reverse, tinny spinning rattle sound. Soooooo...am I looking at a trans replacement?

Sean

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sure sounds like it to me.

I had reverse and second gear go out all at once before on my old 96 RMW and it happened very similarly to what you described.

I also had a 73 Firebird Formula 400 that had the trans give up a gear (or something anyway) while I was driving along. Went to pass someone and it didn't downshift when I put the earshift into 2nd. I quickly threw it back to third and by tthe time my hand left the gearshift, BANG. I continued to drive it to the deli accross the street from work (about a mile from incident) and parked it pulling straight intoo the spot and gear selecter into park. Tried to back up to see if the tranny was ok and I could feel it engage but it wouldn't budge at all even under throttle (and lots of it). The tires were locked. I tried moving it in Neutral but with no success. Towed it home that afternoon and it rolled forward in Neutral off the rollback on it own, but would not moved forward or back in gear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The sun shell may have failed, or not. Since the car will apparently move forward, test drive it to see if it will lock in 2nd and 4th. If not, the shell is highly suspect. If it has all forward ranges normally and the banging in reverse, you might be looking at this:

I had one of these in a 4L60 that oddly ran fairly quiet forward but locked in reverse dur to walking the broken ring gear.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured as much, (about the sunshell). Well, I've had this car for at least 9 years now and plan to keep it for many more. (which is why I don't understand why the damn thing went, it's basically stock!) Anyway, is Shane still not taking any business, his website is gone? Anybody else recommend another trans vendor? Even better if they're in the area, Milwaukee/Chicago, but not necessary. I would prefer a little more built trans than just a no name rebuild or crate trans, just for the simple fact that I will be keeping this car and power may possibly end up going up at some point. thanks guys!!

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got an opportunity for a 94 9c1 trans. What issues will I be looking at?

Sean

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!!! I saw that yesterday and couldn't find it today for some stupid reason

Sean

·
Super Moderator
8,898 Posts
Are you sure Shane isn't taking orders right now? I'd call him first.

If you're handy, replacing the sunshell yourself isn't too hard.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I went with a Pro Built trans and am happy with it. Gave my original trans away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts