Best I could figure when I went through it, some of the v.bulletin updates (probably automated) don't play well w/ the chrome code. Some have mentioned ponying up and becoming a dues paying member, but that shouldn't have anything to do w/ it. Try mozilla or IE and see if the problem travels.Why yes sort of. I use Iron Portable. Reportedly it's Chrome root code, but without the google tracking.
Bugs as this seem to either get fumigated, mutated or patched into extinction as mysteriously as they came to exist. No more occurrences for me, but funny it's come back around for you. Outside of just pestering the SitH out my settings for a while I can't directly credit anything I did as being successful.