Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall reading a while back about someone looking to put a 4 speed in their car. I did a search but couldn't find it. I see an advantage in that you would not have to change the rear end gearing or the driveshaft for steeper gearing but still have the fun of shifting yourself. Other than better price and availability of transmissions would the conversion be any easier or difficult. Has anyone actually done it yet on an LT1.

· Premium Member
5,630 Posts
I am betting it would be a little more difficult as you would have to custom fab alot of stuff, besides the crossmember, the clutch would have to be a linkage style unit and most likely custom from the flywheel back for that matter. I am not sure on this but I am pretty sure the spline count is different on a four speed that what you would find in a T56.

Not saying that it isn't possible, but there would be a lot of time involoved.

Mike

· Registered
42 Posts
Your basically Talking a Swap that various 80's Box S10 Owners attempted over the years, and most found out that they were better off going with a 5 or a 6 spd Manual to better handle their needs(Yes they were swapping in Aluminum LT's from an F-body, so they had a bit of a weight savings over our Iron Blocks).... Size wise, even the Extended Cab LWB's were still under the weight of your Fleetwood, so I could easily see you saying the "I shoulda gone with a _ instead" down the road....

· Registered
560 Posts
Besides a lot of the older trannies are pretty weak, I don't know that you will find a strong 4 speed OD manual tranny, and losing OD would suck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.