Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Frame Ground

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  IndyL03 
#1 ·
Added one up front. Used an existing hole and opened up to 5/16”. Used a self threading screw 3/8”& a star washer. Wondering if there’s a spot to do this to the rear of frame?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rear of the frame to what?

#5 ·
The factory put grounds on the driver's side A pillar. That would be a good place to start. Any welded to the body panel would be a good body ground. There is a body to engine ground at the firewall, behind the driver's side head of the engine.

#7 ·
The OP is not wanting to run a extra 60-100 Amps through the car body.

Trying to minimize drilling holes in body if avoidable
You want to use the frame for ground. With this in mind my suggestion would be only one hole.
Pick a spot on the rear frame for a ground cable. Then pick a spot to drill through the trunk sheet metal.
Make a sandwich. Bolt, ground lug from frame cable, car sheet metal, lug from ground cable to amp, and a locking nut.

I can not help with a best location.

The enemy of this method is the ground lugs rusting and not conducting. The best is to use copper anti-seize or di-electric grease (silicone) to prevent salt and air getting between metal layers, and painting over the bolt, lug, and frame or body metal to stop the rust.

#8 ·
Another good step would be beryllium-copper or phoshor bronze bolts and nuts. Those are made for electrical connections for bussing and taps in substations and switchgear, which are also subject to weather and a lot more current than an audio amp will ever absorb. I keep some on hand (leftovers from a past life) and are available at well-stocked suppliers.

#9 ·
I replaced the strap from drivers head to body with one a size bigger. I need to look and see where I could run a big strap to the body in back, pass through the trunk qtr panel rubber plug, or make a ground lug like suggested earlier. I'm just trying to not do too much with no gain and not put myself at risk for rust since I'm up north. Planning on doing a ziebart treatment before winter and cover in wax and oil on that

#10 ·
and not put myself at risk for rust since I'm up north.
Since you said it first, I would suggest cables with double wall heat shrink to protect the wire/lug seam.

Hood Blue Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I could tell you that a "ground strap" is a bad idea where road salt and water are common but have a look at this video at 30:00. This one lasted less than four years.

Another good step would be beryllium-copper or phoshor bronze bolts and nuts.
Any bolt and nut is better than:

Used a self threading screw 3/8”& a star washer.
The screw is more prone to loosen than a nut and bolt. If you clean the nut side of the frame you increase the electrical contact surface.

#11 ·
Font Auto part Automotive wheel system Circle Fashion accessory
this is the fastener I used. In the back I may use that premade wire the guy used in that video and put that adhesive line heat shrink tubing on it. I dont drive this much hardly if salt is out. usually have the Saturn running. past few winters have just been cold with 2 major snows

#14 ·
I got something like that at my local speed shop.

#17 · (Edited)
I drill/tap the frame near a body mount location that allows a 3/8" bolt to be threaded from the inside of the frame. Virtually eliminating the chance of stripping threads as it allows tighter connection(s).

#21 ·
Prefer heavy gauge welding cable to ground straps.

Reactions: IndyL03
#23 ·
Stud with cable/nut inside trunk. It's a bulkhead connector now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.