Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with their frames ? I Noticed a few cracks on the welds where my trans brace meets the frame.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So NO ONE has had any problems with the frame on these cars ???

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Just no one replied!

Their have been a few people on this board with the frame cracking by the transmission cross member. Some had it welded and reinforced. Yes The body needs to come off the frame some to do a proper repair. Search Frame Crack or something along those lines. I remember reading about some threads even after the BIG Forum crash...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanx for your reply.... So are the frames in these cars considered strong / good ? Or, does a roll cage or sub frame connectors need to be added for more reliability / strength ?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well thanx for your reply.... So are the frames in these cars considered strong / good ? Or, does a roll cage or sub frame connectors need to be added for more reliability / strength ?
boxing the main rails as well as a cage does help it alot.
there is no such thing as subframe connectors on a full frame car.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
A wagon frame is a whole lot stiffer than a sedan. Sedan frames are.. ok.. I can jack up the wagon from one corner on either side, body flex will be minimal and I can get BOTH wheels up on one side from one corner. Try doing that on a sedan.. The frame flexes way too much. Boxing the frame could help, If I thought about doing that I would also devise some sort of rear brace as well behind the bumper like a fleetwood or a wagon had. Maybe even the same C channel brace from a fleetwood or a wagon could be cut off and welded in, or use a piece of square tubing and make your own. If planning on boxing the center part of the frame, you will have to re-route fuel and brake lines but it shouldn't be too hard.

Overall. The chassis was designed in 1977.. What do you expect? :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mine isn't cracked, but it is bent right where the lower trailing arms mount. So much that I cannot mount the new ones that I bought. Rust must have weakened it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts