Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was readin about an exhaust method used and had some questions to those who tried it,the method was cut out mufflers and weld in pipe and keep resonators for better exhaust,i have stock manifolds and just welded in new cats and was wonderin how it would sound if i cut out mufflers and left the resonators as described,anyone done this?Last thing i want is the ******* glasspack pop when i drive it

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Lol. A dozen people have made this SAME thread in the last week.

At the top of this section is a sticky thread titled "Exhaust Sound Clips" look at it, as there are "muffler delete" clips in it.

:)

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
To paraphrase the last thread about this, it'll sound like aids.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
My Roadmaste with Headers, no cats, and a muffler delete... It was extremely loud, and I kept telling myself it sounded great. It was just plain loud, and annoying after awhile. Even when I put stock manifolds back on(with no cats), it was still too much. If it wasn't my winter POS, I would do something about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what i figured,i'll just save my dough and keep lookin for a good catback set,thanks guys for all the shared knowledge

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Maybe if it had a cam and headers it would sound okay.....idk

It sounds triff stock

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
If he had headers and/or a cam, it would be louder and (IMHO) sound worse.

KW
Open header cars sound great. Keep in mind I've only heard cars with 240 plus .050 duration cams. Don't know about lil cams idk. Get some exhaust lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Stock LT1 manifolds, cats and then just pipe, no resonators...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
pimpin88

i can't tell the difference between that and my SS with muff delete and with Res....
my ears hear the exact same sound.....everyone says No muff and no Res is louder than just no muff...

-ALF out...

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
pimpin88

i can't tell the difference between that and my SS with muff delete and with Res....
my ears hear the exact same sound.....everyone says No muff and no Res is louder than just no muff...

-ALF out...
Thats a whole lot of talk about muff's LOL

·
Registered
346 Posts
saving for exhaust > no mufflers

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
it might sound cool at first but it gets really annoying after a while...you wake up people, and ur just asking for unwanted attention...and is loud...mine is even muffled a bit but was still F'n loud!

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
The cats make all the difference. No cats and no mufflers is horrible, regardless of the resonators. Just eliminating the mufflers with the cats and resonators still in place isn't bad or terribly loud.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
its the mufflers, I ran cat delete for a long time in my ride, and she sounded good...when mufflers came off...then...
No, it's the cats. The cars actually sound pretty good with just a muffler delete. Once the cats come off(with a muffler delete) they are just loud and annoying.

I had the cats punched on one of my LT1 cars, with the stock mufflers on it. It sounded exactly the same as stock, other than the whirling and "ting" noise it added to the exhaust note. On another LT1 car, I deleted the cats, and left the stock mufflers. That one actually sounded better than the one with the cats punched... well, until the mufflers rusted out, and I punched a screw driver into them by hand to see how bad they were. cwm4

The cats made all the difference in the world on Jesus. Th spintechs sounded ok with cats, but they sound amazing now, with the cats hacked off. even my best friend noticed, and said the car sounded a lot better. He really doesn't have much of an hear for performance mufflers and what not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts