Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats are some more free mods i can make to my car (besides the basic ones on my list below) and by free i mean about under $20. thanks for the info -Lee

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would buy some FREE black 3m tape of the 1/2 inch variety and blackout the chrome around the glass. I would buy a FREE can of black gloss paint and paint the little chrome strip on the taillights. Pretty good topic, hard to think of things that can be done for under 20 bones!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> blackout the chrome around the glass

If you are going to do that also black out your white window pillars with some nice gloss black, thats a pretty cheap mod. It will look even nicer once you get your window tinted.

Also how about painting your door handles white? I also smoothed off the high area on my handles to give it a cleaner look.

Good Luck!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Walker:
I also smoothed off the high area on my handles to give it a cleaner look.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know you could do that. I had thought about it briefly but since the handles are cast I was afraid that smoothing them would leave the metal too thin there (if not remove the metal completely). What did you use to smooth the high spot?

click - if you do decide to paint the handles (a good idea, I think) be sire to paint the locks, too. :D

Another mod is the 9C1 windshield wipers (you know, the ones with the airfoil). They can be had in the wrecking yards for around $5.00. The 9C1's came stock with one on the driver's side but a lot of folks put them on the passenger side. I've got two sitting in the garage waiting for me to quit being so lazy and install them. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, nice to see you post on here. Your webpage is where I got the idea for my shaved trunk lock cylinder. You have one nice car. Hope to see more of you on here.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Free Mods I've done to my caprice:

Exterior Mods:
Hood emblem delete
Rear trunk lock delete
Rear door handle delete
Completely dechromed (tirewell chrome is ugly!)
Interior Mods:
Had my g/f custom sew "Caprice SS" markings in my head rests
Took all woodgrain dash pieces out and painted black (look slick)
Walmart Clutter Catcher Center Console(cheap but does the job)
Other Mods:
Drilling air box
k/n filter

? cant think of any other under 20 dollar mods.. hope that gave yea some ideas.. ? cheers!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice to see Steve Walker on this forum! The "junior member" doesn´t do him justice. With his car you should immediately go to "senior senior senior senior member" or something. Steve´s Caprice is a real classic if you ask me. I´m sure he inspired a lot of people to mod their Caprice. Steve, welcome, hope to see you often on this forum.

About the cheap mods;
* I whitened my bowtie-trunklock with some whit adhesive foil; looks good
* I made my taillights completely red (pics and explanation on my site); looks good in my opinion
* Put in a blue TL interior light to match my blue interior
* Wigwags, although a good unit does cost more then 20$, although I heard of units of 20$
* Maybe a LTZ-hoodornament (new about 25$, but maybe a secondhand one); haven´t done that myself, but I like the look

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Advance timing to 3 deg. But going to have to run 89 fuel.Got mine at 4 deg. But I have to run 92 to keep from knocking.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you've got a 305, delete the metal ring from the airbox. Improves airflow and slightly increases engine sound (free!)

9C1 wipers are nice indeed, I've put them on both sides ($16 from Dal or as mentioned by Jay).

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THere is a black metal ring that supports the airbox and surrounds the TBI. I pulled it out totally. Just don't tighten the airbox all the way down.

Another free mod, drill holes in the exhaust pipe just before the mufflers. I did this on my SS before doing much real work and it gave a unique sound and a barely noticable power increase. It's just an exhaust leak, but it doesn't sound too bad and actually helps performance IMHO.

Another free mod is polishing the stock exhaust tips. It takes a little time and work, but the result isn't bad. You might also think about painting them.

Another cheap mod is spraying some sound deadening/winterizing stuff under the car. I had the SS up on the lift at school last year and emptied a full can. It cuts down on drone and makes the underside look nice. Just be careful about getting it on the painted exterior :( It doesn't come off easily :(

Um, in my Caprice I pulled the rubber seals off the hood. The front lets more air to the TBI, and the back keeps it cool under the hood.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get the FEL-PRO differential gasket if you haven't already. The gasket the GM put the cars doesn't have the holes to allow the oil to get to the axles (and outer axle bearings). Eventually (150k miles or so) the outer bearing will wear away the axle. I know it sounds hard to believe, but I had to replace my rear axles in my 1992 9C1 at 170k. I changed the gasket on my 1995 9C1 before the components failed. The gasket is 4 bucks. Axles are expensive. This can be done in two hours or less.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> If you are going to do that also black out your white window pillars with some nice gloss black, thats a pretty cheap mod. It will look even nicer once you get your window tinted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to do that to mine. do you mean paint it? I though glossy black would look weird on top of the rest of my white body.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
booth: does that 2 hrs be 40 min for gasket instal, and 120 min for filling the diff? oh wait that was me :mad:
As for the mods, the chrome is a deffinite,and yes the pillars look better when the windows are tinted
you got the 305 so i cant really help on free engine mods, is it me or did anybody else paint the top of there lights black,elimintats the "whiteness"between the light and the hood. take the corner lights apart and take out the orange insert too,

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeh i already did that clear corner light mod, it was kinda a pain but hey, it's fun to try and when u succeed it's even funner, lol

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I learned something here. I love the idea of painting the window pillers black. Can't wait to do that one! And here I thought I was done with my exterior!

Did anyone mention painting the plastic "chrome" on your bumpers white? That's an easy one: mask off, clean well, scuff up with 3M red scuff pad, and spray with gloss white.

Have fun!
Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No one has mentioned the Throttle Body Bypass and the Brake Bolt Mod.

Guhan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> take the corner lights apart and take out the orange insert too, -- 4doorSS <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Please, tell me how this is done!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never mind, ran a search.
(How come I never remember to do that first?)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts