Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how would i go about fixing up any curb rash scratches and etc on steelies?

Also is the best way to repaint them black by powdercoating them? I would like to also do this to some SS wheels

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I just took some wheel cleaner and the garden hose, cleaned them up good then used duplicolor lowgloss engine enamal so it could handle the heat from the brakes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't remember the paint I used, but I sanded the paint all the way down, primered, and painted a gloss black.

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
163 Posts
I went to Advance auto parts and bought a can of VHT's Gloss Black Epoxy paint. It's self priming. did a wheel from the junk yard. it turned out well. It says it rust and salt resistant. I also used it on wiper arms, and a 9c1 sway bar. holding up so far.
It even adheres to plastic.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I went to Advance auto parts and bought a can of VHT's Gloss Black Epoxy paint. It's self priming. did a wheel from the junk yard. it turned out well. It says it rust and salt resistant. I also used it on wiper arms, and a 9c1 sway bar. holding up so far.
It even adheres to plastic.
Good prep and a rattle can are fine. Just watch out for steelies that had trim rings. TR's are great looking, but absolutely destroy the mating surface w/ time and weather exposure.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When I redid some steel wheels I did the following:

1) remove wheel from car and mask off tire with newspaper and tape
2) sand entire wheel until it is smooth
3) clean wheel to remove all sanding dust
4) spray wheel with rustoleum white primer (2 coats)
5) spray wheel with light coats of rustoleum gloss black (as many coats as it takes to completely cover wheel)

They looked brand new. I then put on some stainless steel trim rings and bolted them to the car with chrome lug nuts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
how long does that paint hold up?
my paint still looks new, even though the rims are in the back yard now, and only stayed on the car for 25 miles beforehand, I font like them anymore.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
my paint still looks new, even though the rims are in the back yard now, and only stayed on the car for 25 miles beforehand, I font like them anymore.
These were painted this winter past. Have only been washed once. No prep for the pics. Just walked outside and snapped them:

Front

Rear

Props to RYS's above post, but wanted to add that the old weights and stems should be removed before prep & paint.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Somebody also makes a wheel paint, (don't remember who). My buddy did up a set for his malibu in a silver, almost argent, looked REALLY nice. He said they also had black. I bought a set from a buddy that sanded the wheels down, POR 15'd the back and circumfrence, then sprayed auto grade black with clear coat on the face...very nice!! I'm afraid to put tires on it now though.

Sean

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
If painting I would always take the wheel weight off and mark its spot if you have the tires mounted.. You can probably get a cheap wheel weight remover for not too much money. Mark the exact spot of the wheel weight with a tire crayon.

After being a tire mounter for a few years, I always noticed wheels painted with the tires on ALWAYS chipped at the edges when it was time for tires. ( The Alloy wheel refinish guys work always failed ) Wheels that were off the tire almost never chipped when mounting. My friend At work would ALWAYS refinish the steel wheels he had on all his cars with the tires off and would have no issues with chipping.

If you want to do it right, Take the tire off AND the wheel weights.. Then sand, Prime- Paint, Let the wheels CURE for AT LEAST 3-4 days, Then reinstall tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts