Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to install the bilsteins I got from Rustic. I got the rears in without much trouble, and I got the fronts Out with a little more trouble.
However, I cant get the new front bilsteins in, whenever I turn the top nut, the entire shaft spins! What the heck am I supposed to do to stop it from spinning? Its driving me crazy!

Anyone.......? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There should be a hole in the top of the chrome ram of the shock that you can use a torx bit in, there was on ours. Use a wrench to hold the nut and a ratchet on reverse with the proper size torx bit to tighten the nut down.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a SEARCH, using "Shock" or "Shock Installation", and came up with a few that might help. There are plenty to read through via SEARCH.

Shock Installation 1

Shock Installation 2

The key things I'd point out are to be careful to avoid rotating the shock shaft in the shock body, and to NOT resort to using anything to grip the shock shaft (is. Vise Grips or Channelock pliers) which will damage the shaft and destroy the pressure seal.

The later Bilsteins do use a metric hex key to hold the shaft while tightening the nut. You may find it beneficial to remove the wheel to get a wrench in position to tighten the nut, whether the car is being held up by a jack or jackstand.

It will probably be eaiser for you to complete the installation if the suspension is compressed to close to ride height. If you do remove a wheel, be sure to place a jackstand to catch the car if the jack decides to let go while the wheel is removed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i'll check it out. the car is on blocks alreaddy, with no wheels..

The shaft definatly alreaddy rotated in the chamber, not for too much, but it definatly did. Thats not going to destroy my shock is it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the shocks to go in, there was indeed a hole for an alen wrench.

I couldnt possibly get a torque wrench on there though. How can I know its properly torqued?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.