Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to remove and paint the little front bumper plastic chrome strip on my 96 Caprice Wagon. Is it possible to get this off without damaging it? Is it glued? Screwed? I can't figure out how it is attached and if it will come off without damge. Anyone had this little strip off with success? Thanks.

·
Registered
772 Posts
it just pulls off use a flathead to get the first part off then it should just come off

·
Registered
11,739 Posts
If you are taking it off, and not using it again, what does it matter if it stretches or deforms?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK....anyone else? Has anyone else used this stuff? If so, is it good stuff, easy to install, stay on good? Is it black plastic? Or rubber? Is it satin finish or high gloss? Paintable?
I'll probably get some and give it a shot if it's not junk. Thanks.

·
Registered
690 Posts
its a solid (urethane - rubber) and flat black and it designed to be painted,

but like any urethane it needs to be prep-ed the right way or your paint will peal off.

1. get a red(maroon) scuff pad you only need one
http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetailKit.aspx?ItemNo=DUR SP-7447

2.clean/ degrease
Amazon.com: Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover (Quart): Automotive

3. add some adhesive promoter
http://www.handsontools.com/Klean-S...on-Promoter-15-oz-Net-Wt-Aerosol_p_10361.html

4. add flexible primer; primer designed for bendable plastics.
Amazon.com: Flexible Primer Surfacer - Aerosol: Automotive

5. scuff with maroon or gray scuff pad -> paint as usual

step 4 is something you can skip if you want to save money. but if your paint is pealing off in a few months or weeks you will know why.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If its stuck on the car good I would leave it on and mask it up and paint it. But I am pretty good at masking. I bought one from car parts wholesale and it ended up not looking like the pic. I think it was for a older model. I was bummed .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks 32assasin. I really appreciate all you have done to tell me about this method. I'm aware of what to do now that you told me the material it is made of and I have most all the stuff you mention except the flexible primer.
Bondovw makes a good point, however. I'm thinking, rather than go through all that, I may just mask the area, scuff it till the shiney stuff is gone and paint it right on the car. I'm good at masking too.:D

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Cool , I have had issues with re tapeing them back on. Usually when its removed its best to replace the whole thing. When you take your old one off it may leave the double sided tape on the bumper . Its a pain to get off and will mess up your thumbs. Heat will help.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Be careful when you scuff the trim because it is wrapped in thin clear plastic (at least mine was) and if you end up ripping it, it looks horrible unless you take all the plastic off. And it is a pain.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah....I know, narc. I have been there and done that with this trim stuff. Once you get into the clear plastic wrapper you are in trouble....which is why I looked happily at what 32assasin posted up. But....I didn't know I would have to go through a complete prep and paint with the new stuff. I tell ya....every damn thing I have done on this car has turned into a freakin' project!:mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I want to do that,I took the trim off unfortunately and started stripping off all the chrome plastic so that I could get to the black plastic and paint it,I'm bummed out right now and don't want to do all the work,I think I'm just gonna get the black trim and paint it to match or see if I can put mine back up and duraglas it smooth and paint whole bumper.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why are you bummed, GB03? You mean because of all the work it takes? Can't say as I blame you for that....these trim pieces have that clear wrap on them like saran wrap and if you get into that stuff you have big problems. I was thinking of getting all that wrap off with chemicals and then scuffing the rest. But it's going to be a bear to get all that clear wrap off I'll bet. So...you say you removed the trim piece from the bumper...was that difficult? Did you damage it? How did you get it off? Does it look like it will go back on OK? Is it hollow in the back or solid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.