Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to remove the front clip from a 1995 roadmaster?
I'm getting ready to do a tranny swap and figure I might as well replace all the leaking engine gaskets. valve covers, rear and front main, timing cover, and the intake are all leaking.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the front clip, just remove the engine/trans together and do the gaskets while it's out of the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really??

sounds like a lot of work cwm8

I guess it time to roll up my sleeves and get to work
thanks

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Not really all that much more work considering you are pulling the trans anyway. If it weren't for that, I'd say leave the engine and clip in place to do the gaskets. Keep in mind if you replace the timing cover gasket, the correct way is to replace the oil pan gasket along with it.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Just take the hood off and pull the whole engine/transmission unit out. Do your refresh job, and put it back in the same way you took it out.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Not really all that much more work considering you are pulling the trans anyway. If it weren't for that, I'd say leave the engine and clip in place to do the gaskets. Keep in mind if you replace the timing cover gasket, the correct way is to replace the oil pan gasket along with it.
I wouldn't remove the front clip either...too much work. You can drop the tranny out from under the car. A lift is really nice or I've done it with all for corners up on Jackstands.

engine seals - most likely the front timing cover seals are what's leaking. Those are easy to replace with the engine still in the car....see Goldie's video(s) :). If pan gasket looks good then just do the front seals maybe VC gaskets too.

If you decide to do all the seals/gaskets, I would pull the engine/tranny together. Just disconnect the harness and pull them with an engine hoist. Seperate the 2 and put the engine on a stand. So much easier to do all the gaskets with the engine on a stand and you can clean things up. Also do the rear seal while you got it apart.

If you pull the engine, good time to inspect or most likely replace the Motor Mounts. The Poly Bushings are a good option here and you just re-use the original metal shells. Energy Suspension has them in both Black and Red.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
I'm another for pulling the motor/tranny vs the front clip. You can have the engine out , replace gaskets and have it replaced in about 3 years. cwm3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will change all the gaskets. I will do what you you all said and pull the motor and tranny. Anyone what to come and have some fun :D:D:D

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
If you are near South West Michigan, then sure. I will help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i'm in brooksville fl but thanks for the offer. I just ordered the gasket set,head bolts,tranny seals. I'll pick up the tranny from the junk yard on monday. I just need to find plugs and a service book. I just was not planning going this far but hey it's got to get done.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
Pushing 4 currently.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
You probably do not need to pull the heads, and replace the head bolts. If you are referring to the header bolts, that is another issue. Make sure you have all the parts before starting. You should check the oil pump connector to the pump drive. They are nylon, and have a habit of cracking, and if it breaks, you have no oil pressure. I replaced mine with a metal one. It is cheap insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts