Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I know I saw a while back people running 6x9's, I think the thing to watch out for is the depth more than anything, larger speakers tend to also be deeper. I can't see why an 8" round wouldn't fit but it would have to be very shallow, or you'd have to keep the windows up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
didn't sharp96ss have bigger door speakers, I wanna say yes

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my question is why would you want bigger. you subs handle the bass so i dont see an advantage if running more than 4 mids or highs.
Its more about sound quality and producing good mid-bass. If you try to make your subs play the mid-bass its obvious that its coming from the rear of the car and could be muffled and/or out of time alignment with the music that the front speakers are playing.

A lot of 6.5"s stuggle to put out some serious midbass thump, the bigger the speaker the easier (and usually cheaper) it is to do.

After looking. I think I could have stuffed an 8" speaker in the door. The issue is with the backspacing and having to use thick spacers and modify the door panel.

Instead I just got some 6.5's I'll try them first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had a 8 in the front doors with a wood ring (spacer) behind the speaker. i did have to cut the metal a bit since i was using a 8'' bayma. the magnet was hitting a bit. but once i put the panel back on it looked stock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Its more about sound quality and producing good mid-bass. If you try to make your subs play the mid-bass its obvious that its coming from the rear of the car and could be muffled and/or out of time alignment with the music that the front speakers are playing.

A lot of 6.5"s stuggle to put out some serious midbass thump, the bigger the speaker the easier (and usually cheaper) it is to do.

After looking. I think I could have stuffed an 8" speaker in the door. The issue is with the backspacing and having to use thick spacers and modify the door panel.

Instead I just got some 6.5's I'll try them first.

a high wattage 6.5 will accomplish that better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts