Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I just bought a 95 Roadmaster and its some serious play in the steering and it wobbles like it has a bad tire. What could this be if its not the tires????

·
Registered
399 Posts
Slack in the steering could be anything from the idler arm to ball joints, steering shaft bushing or steering gear. However, most of the slack is probably because of worn parts in the steering linkage (idler arm, tie rod ends, and center link). Those alone may rid of nearly all of the slack. I'd recommend replacing the idler arm, tie rod ends, and center link first. Then replace the lower/upper ball joints and wheel bearings/seals.

The wobble could be from bad tires, a bent wheel or maybe even a wheel bearing and a couple others parts depending on when the wobble is present.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It could get expensive especially if you aren't doing the work yourself. The easiest thing to do is to take it to a good mechanic shop, better yet, an alignment shop and let them put the car on a rack to check for all the issues. That way, you'll know exactly what's wrong and wouldn't just be throwing money at it. All of those parts should be changed eventually but you can just replace some of the less costly items first, like the idler arm, centerlink, and tie rod ends.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
If the wheel has a dead spot in the middle, the steering gearbox needs to be adjusted. The FSM has the sequence. You need a spanner to adjust the input shaft bearing, and an inch lb. torque wrench to adjust the output shaft. I posted the instructions on the forum a while back.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
You might want to look at the steering damper on the shaft as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts