Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SS has been making a noise in the front from either side when coming to a stop. It sounds as if something is shifting forward before I come to a stop. You cannot feel it but you can hear it. I had the noise for awhile on the driver's side but recentley I have heard the noise coming from the passenger side also.

The noise sounds like a metallic "click". All the alignment shims seem to be in place. The poor beaSSt is fast approaching 160k miles so it may be time for a front end rebuild.

Any insight will help.

Thanx in advance.
null<LI>null
null

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also getting a weird cracking, loud clicking sound when I initially back up while turning the wheels and when I pull forward. Almost light someone is lightly hitting the frame with a hammer. Might be ball joints. When I bought new tires and wheels and had it aligned I was informed that the lower ball joints and the idler arm needed replacement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This clicking noise is while going forward. You can hear it while in the process of slowing down (straight line). Occasionally you'll hear one side click folloewed by the other. Strange.

Usually the click sounds off before you come to a complete stop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess would be the ball joints. Mine are bad too at 75K. I just ordered all the Moog stuff and it will be rebuilt before going to Tulsa in July.

Mine would do the opposite as yours, it would clunk after moving from a stop. A nasty sound and the driver side front wheel moves a bit :eek: I would get it fixed before something bad happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the ball joints out and they are AOK. I noticed on the lower control arm on the passenger side. The the bushing which is closest to the passenger may be getting old. The control arm looks as if it has been rubbing on something due to a vertical scrape which is fresh. I am assuming the control most be moving around. I haven't checked the drivers side yet.

Old age setting in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.