Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My Impala has about 81,000 miles on the clock, and it is dropped with Hotchkis Springs, and Billstein Shocks. (Not A Daily Driver)
Every now and then I read about Impalas and caprices having front end problems such as bushings and so forth.
Although I haven't had any problems yet, would you recommend I rebuild the front end (preventive maintanance), and would doing so benefit me with the handling?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your ball joints, tie rods, centerlink and idler arm are still tight... then the only handling improvement would be from moving up to a firmer bushing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Just one question, Should I be concerned about anything breaking from wear and tear over the past 9 years? (Preventive Maintanance)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really. It's very rare to have that kind of failure... and when you do see it, it's usually "new part failure" from faulty construction or poor installation. However, it wouldn't hurt to check your joints to make sure you have cotter pins in place and that the nuts are torqued properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont abuse my car. (only a little) Its lowered on 20's it has 93K on the clock. (not a daily driver). Im doing my entire front end.. Originally I just wanted to change the worn lower ball joints but, I got a little carried away. 3 years ago when I put the 20" rims on the ball joints were marginal. Now since im puttin new tires all around I felt it was time for a complete front end. IF you can align your car and its within specs AND if your ball joints are still in good shape,, leave it alone.. ALTHOUGH I had a friend of mind shear off a nut to the lower ball joint and left him on the side of the road. you never know,, Id at LEAST check the ball joints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on what kind of service you've had done over the years. If it's been under warranty and/or brought in for regular service, chances are a few of your front end components have already been replaced.

Bringing it to a trusted alignment shop to check wear on front end components can't hurt. If a few components are worn, I generally recommend a full front end rebuild because it saves on labor (quite expensive to tear down the front end twice).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.