Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished pricing Moog steering and suspension parts and it looks to be $300 to $400.
If I ordered everything I wanted for the steering suspension and brakes it comes in at $700.
Problem is this is a 93 chasis I'm rebuilding and most if not all these items need replacing.

The Moog prices seem to be compairable to the GM/ACD prices in the Bill Harper "ACDelco suspension parts" thread.

With the body off the frame I want to do everything and not be crawling around under the car later when the body is back on.

What parts and were purchased have others used that are cheap/affordable and satisfied with?????

I'm looking at steering linkage, control arm bushings(front and rear),ball joints, etc.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Facts of life--parts (new & used) will only get more expensive over time. An out-of-production vehicle is an opportunity to raise prices, as it costs manufacturers more to produce smaller quantities of replacement parts that are application specific--prices go up to maintain equity in the effort (ie. profit).

Fortunately, many of the front suspension parts used in the B-body are common to a number of vehicles & years, with a fairly sizeable population still on the road, so demand is still there, even though cars/trucks using the parts are mostly out of production. 73-77 A-body, 77-up B-body, 70-81 Camaro, 75-79 Nova, 78-88 G body, S10 pickups, and Astro vans share(d) a number of parts--only Astro remains in production, and running gear/suspension has been revised, so I don't know if it still has any commonality with any out-of-production vehicles. Lower ball joint for Astro was same as Moog K6141 (5/8") as an example.

Moral: take care of your stuff, plan ahead. Remember, no one feels sorry for orphans in the car business.

Check vendor section, for starters:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001124

and there may be others. Have you checked with Dal?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really not that much money. Plus it's not like you have to replace those parts every 3,000 miles. I would focus on getting good quality brand name parts. You don't want to be trying to save a buck or two when it comes to brakes/suspension parts. If I recall when I last did the front end on my Crown Vic I spent about $350-400 for upper and lower ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, etc. You can shop around a little on price but not much. Usually Advance or AutoZone carry decent suspension parts from Dana and TRW.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call Dal, AC Delco, can't beat his prices, at least in my book!

Dave

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got that same sticker shock when I rebuilt the 1/2 ton suspension on my suburban when I did my conversion from 3/4 ton. Not to mention I got ripped off on the 1/2 stock 30 year old suspension and payed $400 plus another $300 to rebuild it with new bushings, ball joints, and tie rods......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts