Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 96 Impala, do the front inner wheel wells come out (unbolt)? Mine are rusted. I have had other cars that they came out, do they on thiscar? If they come out I assume any caprice 91-96 wagon or sedan will work?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind, I found a thread that clearly shows they they unbolt and come out. Sometime this spring I will head to my local pull and pay, they always have B bodies in there.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do the front fenders have to come off to get the inners out?

·
Registered
785 Posts
the inners are bolted to the outers, so yes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've taken both side inners out without removing the fenders. Pull the wheels first. I usually have to cut a bolt or two 'cause the speed nuts have rusted. I'd have some spares on hand, M6 IIRC.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I've removed numerous wheelhouses, and you can take them out without removing the fenders. You do have to remove the battery tray on the passenger's side. There are two nuts under the front splash panels that have to be removed on both sides. You will also have to finess the passenger's side panel past the AC piping. They rotate rearwards to remove.

Remove the wheel to facilitate easy extraction.

If you have a bad power antenna, or want to install a power antenna, now is the time to do it.

The Caprice and wagon panels are interchangable with minor accessory mounting hole differences. RMS, and FWB panels are not interchangable with anything.

Where are you located...sometimes we get some really nice panels here in FL.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I am talking about the panels that from inside the motor there windshield cleanr bottal, antifreeze tanks, and other odds and ends are attached to them. That whole piece is what I need to remeve. That can bee done with out removing the fenders, just the wheels? I thought the fenders were attached to them?

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
FWB=Fleetwood Brougham RMS=Roadmaster Sedan

The fenders are bolted to them, but like I stated, I have removed a number of them and they take about 20 - 30 minutes each to remove without removing the outer fender. It is not hard. I sell them for $100 per pair (when I can find an acceptable pair) plus shipping via Greyhound to the Depot nearest you. I currently have a passenger side wheelhouse that has a small bend at the front, and a little surface rust under the battery tray (not included), but the metal is excellent.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
FWB=Fleetwood Brougham RMS=Roadmaster Sedan

The fenders are bolted to them, but like I stated, I have removed a number of them and they take about 20 - 30 minutes each to remove without removing the outer fender. It is not hard. I sell them for $100 per pair (when I can find an acceptable pair) plus shipping via Greyhound to the Depot nearest you. I currently have a passenger side wheelhouse that has a small bend at the front, and a little surface rust under the battery tray (not included), but the metal is excellent.
Fred my mentor, to the rescue. :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a local pull and pay that I can prob get them from. They have these cars all the time in there.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And it was said in this thread that you can't use them from a RMS. I assume that is a roadmaster 4dr sedan, not a wagon. I pulled mine from a 94 RMS and they fit fine, all mounts dead nuts the same as the Impala. So I'd have to assume 94-96 at the least RMS will work. Did for me.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
The panels are slightly different. If you bend them a little they may fit. The RMS has a different shape to the wheel opening, and the wheelhouses are shaped for that opening. I am glad you got them to work.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They went in for me just fine. I did nothing at all to make them fit. If they are diff I do not see it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Roadmaster wagons have same fenders as caprices and impala SS.Oldsmobile Custom cruisers also have same fenders.
Roadmaster sedan's fenders are different from all of them.
In fact one can take Caprice fender, hood,headliht,radiator support,inner fender (strutcure) and mud shield - steel apron that holds power P/steering reservuar , AC evaporator and window washer fluid tank/Cruise control box - and just swap them between named models.

what was not pointed out yet is that 91-93 model years of all of them have differnt holes locatios from 94-96.
94-96 have PCM mounted at the LHS mud shield, where as 91-93 have it at the RHS kicker panel. Also the Air filter assembly on 94-96 mounts above the PCM.
It's not a big deal, for the shape of them is same, just some holes may be redrilled if going crossyear'd.
I can't remember for sure about fleetwood, their fenders are even more different than Buick sedan's. fleetwood has a stretch in the frame just in front of the front door, about 8-10 inches.
So fleetwood's inner fender structure is longer than that of any B-body models. fleetwood is a D body.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are saying FENDERS, I am talking about the inner wheel wells up front in this thread.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, I realize that. The reason for mentioning fenders: shapes of wheel openings directly affects what inner fenders can be mounted to them. 94-96 Impala SS can use Caprice, Buick wagon or Olds Custom cruiser wagon inner fenders. If they are 94-96 they will be exactly like the Impala's if they are 91-93 some holes for accessories need to be redrilled.

Buick sedan or fleetwood will not work.

The inner fenders will come out without removal of the fenders. Taking the wheel off will make it much easier.

main trouble while removing inner fenders - if nuts are frozen you'll spin the nut and it'll rotate with bolt. No way to get behind the panel and hold the nut.So soak them with DW 40 well.

George
ImpalaSStudio
Please check out my Impala SS custom items here:
http://stores.ebay.com/ImpalaSStudio?_rdc=1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts