Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waaaay back in the day some people had made speaker pods for the tweeters. They fit on the front pillars in front of the driver. It looks like a single gauge pod might work but not wanting to risk $60 to find out.

Is anyone making or have a set of plans for mounting tweeters 'up front' in the '94-96 Impala?

Hawkeye

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Search

A PILLAR TWEETER

You'll be busy the rest of the weekend reading.
I 2nd that motion ;) and if you don't happen to find this thread, then check it out....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=279936

There is lots of good info/ links there on adding pods to your A pillars. In the end, I just went with 2way 6.5's but lots of good stuff on a pillar tweets. Maybe you will find enough info to tackle these yourself or paying someone to do it for you.

Btw - didn't look through the entire thread, but IIRC there was also some talk of putting the tweeter on the door in that little triangular area near the mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Those pods look like these. I don't know how to insert a link, But go to DIY mobile audio and search cheap, adjustable, easily replaceable tweeter pods. Another Home Depot mod.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Yup thats where i got the idea... tweeter pods
I like that as an option BUT have not seen any pics of what it looks like from the outside of the Windshield. Do you have any pics you post up so we could get an idea how this looks from the outside of the car? I also worry about these somehow either getting hit or breaking off somehow....a heavy handed mechanic scraping off my old Inspection stickers and hitting the pod.

The link you posted was also in the 6.5" speaker install thread I posted earlier along with this link if anyone is looking to do their own Speaker Pods molded into your A-Pillar. Looks easy enough, just never tried it and there is a company you could send your and have them do it.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Fiberglassing_Tweeters_Into_Your-A-Pillars.pdf

Still living with 2-Way 6.5" in the Door but may look to change it up at some point. At least I got an extra set of A-Pillars to experiment with when I'm ready to do this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Picked up all the parts today for $10.00 and will give it a shot after I get back from vacation. Should be interesting to see how it looks with a 3 gauge pod.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Thanks for posting up the outside pics. I guess I was expecting to see the threaded rod going into the pillar but after reading the other threads on this mod I think I understand how the pvc pod mounts flush to the pillar.

Really looks pretty good and think I will go with the pvc pods when I'm ready to do this. Seems like a much simpler solution then glassing them in. I'm guessing you heard a good improvement having them up at ear level than down in the doors. Any thoughts on mounting these up higher on the apillars, like up near the headliner and pointing down somewhat.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Picked up all the parts today for $10.00 and will give it a shot after I get back from vacation. Should be interesting to see how it looks with a 3 gauge pod.
Soundss good post some pics when you get to it

Thanks for posting up the outside pics. I guess I was expecting to see the threaded rod going into the pillar but after reading the other threads on this mod I think I understand how the pvc pod mounts flush to the pillar.

Really looks pretty good and think I will go with the pvc pods when I'm ready to do this. Seems like a much simpler solution then glassing them in. I'm guessing you heard a good improvement having them up at ear level than down in the doors. Any thoughts on mounting these up higher on the apillars, like up near the headliner and pointing down somewhat.
No problem. Originally i planned to fiberglass the pillar pods. And maybe one day if i ever get bored i will glass them. But for now the sem texture and medium grey helps to keep them from standing out like a sore thumb.

Before the components i still had the stock 4x6s in the doors. So any kind of change was a great improvement. I do like highs though they are nice n bright. Which doesnt bother me. Guess it all depends on your personal taste. Ive never tried placing tweeters high and aiming downwards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dang! I started this thread and for some reason never got notification that anybody replied! I have lots to read now, and will post up some pics when I decide what to do. I like what bigblackss did and will likely try that.

Just FYI, I've bought Infinity 6x9's (Kappa 693.11I) for the back and separate 6.5" and tweeters (Kappa Perfect 6.1) for the front with a 12" Infinity (Kappa 120.9W) woofer in a 1 cu/ft box below the package deck. I'm running a set of 10 year old 1,000 watt Sony Xplod amps with audiocontrol 10 channel EQs on each, with a din.5 Pioneer cd changer head (CD? what's a CD?)

I think I'll pull out one of my old A/D/S 850 watt amps, and just run one channel for the subwoofer. I'm out of channels on the other amps <G>.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts