Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new front rotors and bearings for my impala and when I put it all back together the castle nut will not screw on far enough to get the cotter pin in. Put the old bearings back in the new rotor and the same thing. This has happened to me once before in the past. The only thing I have not tried is installing the new out races in the new rotor. Has anybody run into this before? Its as if the 2 outer races in the rotor are to far apart or the inner races are to wide. any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alastair

·
Registered
530 Posts
This has happened to me once before in the past.
What was the cause that previous time?
Are the bearing races fully seated in the rotors?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
When installing new rotors? I leave the installed bearing races be....

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
The tool and die maker side of me requires that I replace the entire bearing and race together.
I have never had this issue before. It's been a year or two, but I was able to watch the gap close as I pushed the races home to the step they sit on.
I am assuming your part numbers are confirmed correct?
Can you use a small mirror to see if they are seated completely?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
It's never a problem until it is. Now it's a problem. If the wrong parts ,then races have to come out.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Just take them back and get another set.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Might try to press them in now, Nsaness, what method to you use to remove the cups if I have to go that route?
Might try to press them in now, Nsaness, what method to you use to remove the cups if I have to go that route?
If I don’t have my proper garage tools, I would just use brass rods (and hit them with a hammer) to remove. If the rotor is on your workbench, it is not too hard to put the brass rod in and catch the bearing edge. Work evenly around the diameter.
Wood Wall Font Gas Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
6,934 Posts
Something to think on.
When rotors are finish cut-ground , they are referenced off the bearing races.
Where am I going here?
If the races are not seated , you better check the run out of the rotor after you seat them.
Have seen this personally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I am back to what Fred said, trying to return one of the rotors because the outboard race will not go in far enough to match the spec on my old one. Used a 10 ton press and it didn't budge anymore so something is not right. Nothing like turning a 3 hour job into a multi day debacle. Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Further illustrating a reason not to remove brand new races in brand new rotors to install other brand new races.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I am back to what Fred said, trying to return one of the rotors
Would you please supply the store name, product brand, and part number so others can make informed decisions when purchasing rotors.

One of the reasons I buy some auto parts locally is the large mail order parts supplier may be cheap but there is no customer support, product knowledge, or warranty. My last gong show was the wrong part in the correct parts box.(calipers).

Auto parts stores are confused when I ask to see the parts boxes opened to check for box contents. Either many manufactures have problems with the nuts&bolts pack or stores do not check returned parts boxes for the "plastic bag"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts