Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using pb blaster on the top single bolt and bottom two bolts. The two came out fine, but the top is spinning the bolt with the silver mini shaft. Am I not seeing a allen bolt on top of the shaft? I tried medium and large vice grips did it as hard as i can im strong and it was still spinning please help i put it all together so no rush.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad yours went easier than mine..... I was ready to shoot myself....SMH

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/1306098-help-installing-front-bilsteins.html

-ALF out...
everything under this car is 20+ years old im the second owner so its hard to break a bolt free especially if you wanna keep that bolt. I was looking for the allen head on top of the piston shaft cause i knew a vice grip couldnt hold something with no indent, just kept spinning. Im thinking cut off wheel or dremmel if shes gonna play hard to get. I went to your thread, i would like to buy new quality bolts as well since im down there. Im thinking the rears will be twice as hard cause its far up and the spring is in your arm reach i think. Thanks all you guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always used vice grips on the shock rod to hold it....since the shock was being replaced
thanks BALLSS i was doing the same, didnt want it to come to cutting it out but I'm not sweating it. I live in Ventura CA i see you live in Moorpark

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
. Im thinking the rears will be twice as hard cause its far up and the spring is in your arm reach i think. Thanks all you guys.
The rears are tough to get but I never found them as difficult to do as others have reported. I got BIG hands so that does not help. But I either had a box/open end wrench that I finagled from the top to secure it while I used a long extension and socket to undo the bolt from below.

I really don't remember them causing me too much grief. If you are concerned though, reach out to Bill (member - NavyLifer) as he sells a nice little Kit which uses as I would describe as a "U" shaped bolt that drops in place and nuts go on from below...nothing to have to keep from spinning above.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This front passenger shock is still baffling, does 2 vice grips help? I was thinking of getting a file and just get one side of the still spinning piston shaft so my vice grips stops slipping. Cause i need a socket up top i dont see how people do vice grips up top and a open end wrench together. This jobs a pain to do without cutting it with fire or air chisel which I dont have.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
My word. If everything in Kings-' link did not work then salvage your sanity and run it to a muffler shop and for ~$30 get them to torch it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ive tried putting a deep socket and rocking it back and forth to break it off but nothing. Is that how much they charge per side? That is good advice but im always trying to do it myself cause i dont have buddies in those types of shops cause 1 they overcharge for everything and 2 i dont trust most shops.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
I..... they overcharge for everything and 2 i dont trust most shops.

Yah yah yah. of course they do, And, I -->don't,<-- either, Dude, WTH is dont? :: confused screwed-eyed mojicon/::

The 30 farkin' bucks is to to schedule you in, rise your old stupt decrepit old Chevy up under a lift, and put upwit yur ??. The torchin' is basically free.
Both sides.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
They do make a tool for this job.. I paid less than $15 for it.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Ive tried putting a deep socket and rocking it back and forth to break it off but nothing. Is that how much they charge per side? That is good advice but im always trying to do it myself cause i dont have buddies in those types of shops cause 1 they overcharge for everything and 2 i dont trust most shops.
Likewise on a OLD and VERY RUSTY 96 9C1 that I'm parting. Just removed the front Suspension and to Save time and tossing the shocks anyway, I tried the "snapping off the bolt method and it didn't work for me.

Couldn't find my Shock tool for this purpose so just used old Reliable...A Pair of Vice Grips.

I know you said you tried that, but you got to grip the heck out of it. It's a little tricky to get in there but reaching in from the Front side I was able to "CLAMP" down on the Shock shaft really well. Then just a Socket from the top and it was off in about 2 min. You just got to get in there, get some leverage and Clamp the Shyt out of it so it doesn't spin on you. You need some strong hands to get the clamp on there tight enough.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just purchased the tool for this job for 15 dollars so I'm really happy they made a fix for this problem thank you everyone for your input I knew eventually with my annoying questions I'd be with an answer to get my boat suspension to stop bouncing all day long. I tried the vice grip but maybe not tight enough, then i saw a person manage to get 2 vice grips in there so two must be twice as good. I tried air gun but dont have a 1 foot 1/2" extension for my air gun to get it from top. Everything is in the way on the passenger front, and I thought there would be a slot in the piston rod for a vice grip but it just spins. I'm at ease just waiting for part and will get this done fast.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
I didn't read all the posts but glean you are not trying to save the shock.
Sorry if this is already suggested

Put a deep socket and extension on the top nut.
Rock it back and forth, the stud will snap off below to nut very easily

This front passenger shock is still baffling, does 2 vice grips help? I was thinking of getting a file and just get one side of the still spinning piston shaft so my vice grips stops slipping. Cause i need a socket up top i dont see how people do vice grips up top and a open end wrench together. This jobs a pain to do without cutting it with fire or air chisel which I dont have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts