Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a set of Intrax lowering springs and in need of new shocks. What are the current options for a lowered daily driver?

I have bell tech nitro drop shocks that have been great for the last 12 years but they are at the end of their life and summit doesn't have them for the front anymore.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm partial to the Bilstein's,and don't believe lowering makes much difference as the minimum travel is unchanged. Basically the piston inside the shock rides lower in the tube...

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I've been rolling on Bilsteins for the last 13 years, in two different cars. I was/am very happy with the ride they provide.

When I first installed them there was quite a noticeable difference from the cheapo shocks that were installed on my 9C1 when I first bought it.

After wrecking the 9C1 I transferred them onto the current ride in my SIG picture, and swapped those out for new in the fall of last year.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I have stock length shocks on the rear of my wagon, and drop shocks on the front. The only issue I have is that the front tire comes off of the ground before the rear when I jack it from the rear. To change the rear tire, I have the whole side of the car off of the ground. The front wheel is about 3 inches off when the rear finally decides to lift. I can not put drop springs on the back, and still get the 255s out from under the fenders.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bilsteins seem to be the most recomended so I'm definatley considering them. $90 each from Summit. Any better pricing out there? Or opinions on other brands? Not looking for Gabriel "quality" but if there's co parable options for less, the vacation fund grows faster.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I think I paid at $75 for mine. There was a recommendation on the forum from somebody. It has been a couple of years since I bought them. If all else fails, do an internet search, and check out the results for price.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Way Too Easy Nowadays

Yah, my first set of Konis c.7BI took a letter to the company just to find a retailer. My 3 complete sets of Bilsteins have come from 3 different vendors. The last was shox.com I think.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
[SNIP]

Any better pricing out there? Or opinions on other brands? Not looking for Gabriel "quality" but if there's co parable options for less, the vacation fund grows faster.
TIRE RACK seems to have the best pricing as of this morning @ $85 & $66 each (FT/Rear).

This Thread may be of use to you as well.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
They will be tough to beat...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've really been enjoying the Koni shocks on my current 2 wagons. I've had both kinds of bilstein (HD and sport) on previous b-bodies, and I definitely prefer the Konis. If the bilsteins are significantly cheaper, you'll probably be happy with them too since your springs probably aren't as stiff as the ones I use up front. I currently have 750 lb/in springs in the front with the front konis set to full firm, and the rears set to 3/4-ish in the back.

One of the forum vendors carries the konis (BMR). They are 20% off once in a while.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
The SS stab bars are sure an upgrade, but the current Konis turn out just too much for the cushy FE1 coils on my FWB. Just ordered a set of Monroe Service from RA = appreciably less than local part houses, - even including the manufacturer rebate debit card.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
back in 2000 I replaced the oem shocks . still have all of them that came with the vehicle ... purchased from auto zone with lifetime warranty. 3 years ago I got replacements under warranty .. I did pay $90 ea for them but they do last .. I took them out and they did have a little less resistance than the new shocks but still worked good.

my truck I also got replacements and the rear shocks replaced same result a little weaker than new but not broken .. Bilstiens do last a long time if made in Germany..

on other vehicles I did use monroe/gabriel shocks but they did not last even with the warranty had to change them every 4 years esp... on the fronts.. weak .

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
The Monroe Severe service are practically identical in stiffness to the Bilsteins but cost half as much.
I use them on my circle track race car and their great.
1996 CHEVROLET CAPRICE 5.7L V8 Shock Absorber | RockAuto

Nab
X2 on the Monroe SS shocks. I had the Bilsteins on all 4 corners and one of them was leaking. I read good things about the Monroe's so just decided to get a pair for the front. They are still on the car and performing well with the Eibach Springs.

Of note was how much larger the diameter of the shaft is compared to the Bilsteins. Not sure how that equates to ride quality or not but just thought it was interesting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts