Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my front driver side shock break loose from the lower control arm bracket. The bracket welds actually broke off while on the road. With every minor bump I could feel the shock arm scraping on the ground... untill I crossed rail road tracks. The arm got caught and broke off.
Aside from a new Edelbrock, do I need to replace the entire lower control arm?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "bracket"??
Our shocks mount directy in to holes drilled (or stamped)into the lower arm. Did the holes tear out of your arm or did the "ears" on your shock break?

If the shock broke... it may be no big deal. If the arm tore out you will need a new one for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you post this - I just had both bolts of the driver's side front shock go AWOL. There was a clunk in the front suspension in the weeks leading up to their disappearance. 2 new bolts fixed the problem, but not before I skinned the bottom of the shock on a bump. Passenger side bolts were still nice and tight. A rare failure, I imagine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well acually the it 2 sheetmetal clip nuts they thread into at the bottom ,but anyway ,if the arms on the shock broke you can send it back to edelbrock for a replacement ,they cover everything but a bent shaft ,but if the ears broke off and caused the bent shaft i would say thats covered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not gotten a chance to take the wheel off or put it on a lift yet. But with the wheel turned, I managed to get a glimpse of the shock's rod (broken) hanging right above the hole in the control arm.
My community recently layed down a million speed bumps , as high as mountains. They are so high ricers get stuck, and "teater -totter" on them

I pulled a "Dukes of Hazzard" 3 months ago because they didnt put reflectors or reflective paint down on the bumps.
Not to mention the everyday scraping of the underside of my car. Im thinking thats what finally led to that.
These bumps a ridiculously too high.
I wasnt sure how they mounted to the bottom, but Ill look further into it.
Thanks fellas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC, they mount very cheaply. its like a thin sheet metal clip that the screws dig into on top of the ears. here

Red is the control arm, black is the clip, yellow is the shock mount, and blue is the bolt.

[ 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: MrCadillac (Magnum) ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by bbodyguy (o) (o):
Please post pics (or even better a video) of the ricers teeter totering! That sounds f'n funny! :D
it sure does!! Where my friend lives, his lower avenger had to go over most of the speed bumps at an angle not to get hung up. it was a fun sight. and if he went to fast, BAM, unibody hitting cement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if your talking about the 'butterfly' that attach to the control arm np problemo (if nothing was torn)

I had the same issue, swapped the shock fine since

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.