Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been digging through old posts for months but I still don't have a clear idea; I have a 95 RMW with the stiff Bilsteins, big, Hellwig front bar and a 21mm Crown Vic rear sway bar. I already picked up the CC625 rear springs (1" drop, slightly higher than stock spring rate at 227lbs) and I'm looking to replace the front springs with something just a little stiffer than stock (500-550lbs?) and also an inch or so drop (I realize I may need to cut a coil to make this happen; I would also consider taller springs + Belltech drop spindles; Im getting new wheels soon anyway.)

All I'm finding is stock rate springs (440lbs) or much higher spring rates (710-750lbs) from Crown Vic but Id like to keep the freeway-friendly ride and let the sway bars do most of the cornering work. Are there any in-between options for the front?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Sounds like what you need to do is find the tallest of the stock rate springs, and then cut to taste, which will get you both the drop in height, and the increase in spring rate you want.

(If there are any springs missing from
this thread
please let me know?)

What do you think of the 5426 spring for your front?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Here's your best choices. The top spring is a factory Impala spring for reference. Many claim installed in a wagon proves to be close to stock wagon height.

These will need cutting to get the right height which increase the rate further. The 5534 might be a good start.

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
550/450 is only 22% difference.

I doubt you will notice any real difference. It would be the difference between always driving with a heavy passenger then driving by yourself.

I am a firm believer in the 750lb springs.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
How bad are the roads in your part of Canada?

In the 5boros of NYC [or in the tri-state area for that matter], I definitely would NOT recommend [FoMoCo Clown Bitch P71-type] 750lb springs - unless the car's primary purpose is entertainment, shenanigans, sport, competition, etc (despite finding said front spring rate very pleasurable in a Caprice) because, for some strange reason, I imagine it'd be better to discover a newborn pothole with 450lb front springs, than 750lb front springs.
Plus my girlfriend prefers a softer ride.

If your roads are well paved, well maintained, and smooth enough, then you are a lucky bastaducci; enjoy the front springs inspired by the Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor with my vocal blessing and my unspoken jealousy in equal measure.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For whatever it's worth, when I rebuilt mine('94 Caprice wagon)...
Used Moogs both ends, car had Bilsteins & Hotchkis (massive) sway bars F&R already.
80098 750lb up front, and cc623 in rear, VERY happy with ride afterwards.
I have a REALLY bad back, and ride quality is pretty important to me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
How bad are the roads in your part of Canada?
Trucks out sell cars here by three times.

That said I go over parking lot speed bumps at twice the speed of a new 4X4 without spilling my drink.

I imagine it'd be better to discover a newborn pothole with 450lb front springs, than 750lb front springs.
Any pothole in my area will destroy the tire and wheel before there is any damage to the suspension or frame of a b body.

I would rather a pothole compressed my spring than my bump stop stopping the suspension dead and hammering the steel parts.

My apologies to Switchblade327 for going off topic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's your best choices. The top spring is a factory Impala spring for reference. Many claim installed in a wagon proves to be close to stock wagon height.

These will need cutting to get the right height which increase the rate further. The 5534 might be a good start.
Sounds like what you need to do is find the tallest of the stock rate springs, and then cut to taste, which will get you both the drop in height, and the increase in spring rate you want.

(If there are any springs missing from
this thread
please let me know?)

What do you think of the 5426 spring for your front?
Thank you guys. This is exactly what I needed & the comparisons are super helpful. I'm glad to see this forum is as helpful as it was back when I had my 9C1.

For whatever it's worth, when I rebuilt mine('94 Caprice wagon)...
Used Moogs both ends, car had Bilsteins & Hotchkis (massive) sway bars F&R already.
80098 750lb up front, and cc623 in rear, VERY happy with ride afterwards.
I have a REALLY bad back, and ride quality is pretty important to me.
Where in CA are you? One of the bumpy parts? :) In LA, our roads are fairly cratered.

How's your stance with this setup?

Trucks out sell cars here by three times.

That said I go over parking lot speed bumps at twice the speed of a new 4X4 without spilling my drink.

Any pothole in my area will destroy the tire and wheel before there is any damage to the suspension or frame of a b body.

I would rather a pothole compressed my spring than my bump stop stopping the suspension dead and hammering the steel parts.

My apologies to Switchblade327 for going off topic.
No need to apologize! It's actually helpful to hear 750lb testimonials from real world roads, since it seems the 80098/cc625 combo is one of the more common wagon setups. And I do have stiff shocks.

I have other toys intended for more aggressive driving but I do tend to like tighter suspensions over boats. In a perfect world, I'd figure out the Roadmaster setup that rides like my E38 BMW 740i M-Sport did (POS that it was.) I also daily-drove a Miata for years. But the 20ft station wagon somehow, needs to be my most practical car :p

There's a lot of theoretical fear of 750lb springs (which is motivating my original post.) Has only done it had to change back?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’m in Oceanside, and roads are pretty craptastic around here.
I have measurements in this thread
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/21-wagons/1281674-new-stock-ish-springs-lowered-wagon.html
Rear sits a little higher than front, but works for me.
Pics links seemnti have broken, but I can try & dig up pics if interested?

The lowering springs I pulled were freakin’ horrible ride quality.
Car sat waaaay to low to drive normally.
Ride quality was on par with a hay wagon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m in Oceanside, and roads are pretty craptastic around here.
I have measurements in this thread
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/21-wagons/1281674-new-stock-ish-springs-lowered-wagon.html
Rear sits a little higher than front, but works for me.
Pics links seemnti have broken, but I can try & dig up pics if interested?

The lowering springs I pulled were freakin’ horrible ride quality.
Car sat waaaay to low to drive normally.
Ride quality was on par with a hay wagon.
Definitely interested in some pics!

I went through a couple of different lowering springs on my 9c1; Eibachs (bad) and H&Rs (better) but for the wagon, this seems solvable with regular, Moog parts.

Did you cut your 80098s or are these the regular height?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I did not cut the fronts, because they're already lower than stock height. by ~1" according to manual spec & my measurements.

Here's a pic from right after installing them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just to be clear changing springs may require further suspension tuning of the shocks.

In my case I have a hotchkis bar on the front and a FE3(?) bar on the rear with Impala Bilsteins.

This is the best thread to start reading about 750# springs.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/263287-gm-spicer-88913497-750-lb-inch-springs.html

This thread and a quote from another gave me the courage to try 750#.

The quote was some thing like: Many people will tell you that 750# will be stiff/harsh. I suggest you listen to only people that have actually driven a car with the 750# springs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to be clear changing springs may require further suspension tuning of the shocks.

In my case I have a hotchkis bar on the front and a FE3(?) bar on the rear with Impala Bilsteins.

This is the best thread to start reading about 750# springs.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/263287-gm-spicer-88913497-750-lb-inch-springs.html

This thread and a quote from another gave me the courage to try 750#.

The quote was some thing like: Many people will tell you that 750# will be stiff/harsh. I suggest you listen to only people that have actually driven a car with the 750# springs.
Good stuff, thanks. I think I might give the 80098s a try, with all the endorsements people have for the really stiff springs.

Did your front end drop much when the springs settled?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Could not tell you. I did wait two weeks (daily driven) before I had the car aligned.

I was just too happy to get rid of the hotchkis lowering springs. I was scraping the hitch everywhere.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was just too happy to get rid of the hotchkis lowering springs. I was scraping the hitch everywhere.
x2
My Hotchkis springs sucked! Looked cool, rode like ****, lotsa scrapage for daily driver. Maybe they were thrashed/worn out?
New springs settled ~.125” after 600-ish miles, haven’t checked it again.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My Hotchkis springs sucked! Looked cool, rode like ****, lotsa scrapage for daily driver. Maybe they were thrashed/worn out?
Mine looked fresh. no paint(powder coat?) chipping and factory part numbers were perfect.

To me it felt like I had no suspension but a local hotrod/race mechanic thought it was OK for handling. I was willing to give up handling if it stopped the hitch scrape/slam and gave the air dam some clearance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts