Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my front end in a few weeks and it's a PRIME opportunity to change/upgrade on springs. Currently I have stock springs with 140k on fronts and about 50k on the rears with HAL shocks all the way around. I drag the car about once a month and don't want a spring that will hurt my 60' times. I don't mind going a tad lower either - about an inch. The tires I have are (R)295/35 R18 & (F)275/35R 18 (going to 255/40 R18 soon) and they will be 26" all the way around. I do like to carve the canyons but I don't need every ounce of performance out of them. I don't like to take my car to the edge. It's gotta ride close to stock or a tad stiffer.

Is there a spring that will fit the criteria? If I stick with stock springs, is there a need to get new ones?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you like the ride/handling now and just want to go a LITTLE lower, I'd simply remove them, cut 1/2 coil from the bottom of them (which will be a 1" drop) and reinstall.

Most aftermarket springs are a decent amount stiffer in front and thus aren't gonna help the 60' times....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say go Hotchkiss Noel, they have a really really nice stance, and I've seen a lot of cars cutting great 60' times with them. I don't see why a stiffer front spring will hurt your 60' at all, and if anything, I think a stiffer rear spring will help.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike : a stiffer front spring will make the car resist weight transfer to the rear on launch.

If I were setting one of these cars up for drag only, I'd seriously look at Civilian Caprice front springs on it (along with no front swaybar, 90/10 front shocks, etc).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my Intrax springs and almost the same tire combo you run, it is hard to launch without blowing the tires away. There is NO squat to the car whatsoever. It just stays flat. When I still had the auto with the shift kit, it would re-ignite the tires on the 1-2 also. If I was going serious drag racing, I would have soft springs, and mount up some 15" wheels in the back...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to hijack, but are the front civi caprice and the civi caprice wagon springs the same Ed?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a die hard drag car nor a canyon carver. I just want decent 60' times and decent handling. I don't wanna lower it too much cuz with 1/2" i'm losing on tires and possibly an inch on the springs, I don't wanna risk anything hitting the oil pan. It's a 7qt that runs pretty low... about a c*nt hair above the crossmember.

I think the Hotchkis will be to low and I hear that the springs tend get lower over time, not to mention they are stiffer. I think I'll cut 1/4 to 1/2 a coil and go from there.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noel,
If you want the Civi Caprice springs, guess what I have some that I took out of my car.
They are yours if you want them.
I am going to Fresno tonight.
You have a PM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts