Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine what is causing some noise in the front suspension. I was going to remove the front stabilizer bar but was wondering if it is OK to drive the car without it.

Will I be OK or will I just cause more problems by doing this? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not recommended to remove the front bar. You will introduce a very dangerous oversteer condition. Trust me on this one, you don't want to go there.

What sort of noise are you experiencing? A clunking, squeaking, other? Could be bushings, shocks, or a broken spring (had that once). Let us know and we'll try to help.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are thinking about removing the bar and driving around like a citizen to see if the noise goes away, go right ahead. You will have no trouble at all. Granted if you drove the balls off the car it would be tail happy. I see cars (some performance) come into my shop with broken links which is the same as no bar and the handling is not " Oh my God I gonna crash" Just don't drive like an idiot and you will be just fine. Also keep to city streets and keep the speed down.
If you were whizzing down the highway and had to make an emergency manoeuvre, thinks make get a little busy at the helm. Regards, Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have at least two things going on. The reason I wanted to take off the front stabilizer bar is that the metal part of one of the bushings is bent (see my earlier post) and the bar may be moving around a bit. This problem still puzzles me since the threads are definitely not stripped and the bolts are nice and tight. BTW, I'm still curious if there are other options for the HO front bar stabilizer bushings. I really wish I had a digital camera to take a picture of my problem...

Anyway, on to my latest problem.

The first thing that seems to be happening is that there is a rather nasty cracking/popping sound coming from the driver's side sometimes. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it's on a pretty sharp bump - it doesn't have to be like a pothole, just a good, smooth dip in the pavement will do it. I didn't notice it until I heard a loud crack/pop sound come from the driver's side front while I was driving down the road. The road was actually quite smooth when it happened & it didn't do it again for a few thousand miles. For all I knew, I ran over something in the road. About 1 week prior to this I had 'Moog'ed the front end (U & L ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, problem solver idler arm & center link), Hotchkis solid tie rod sleeves and had an alignment done. To be perfectly honest, I've just been too busy to get the car up on some jackstands and take a look around to see what might be happening. That will change this Saturday.

The other thing is very similar to something I thought I had just fixed. The best way I can describe it is there is a small amount of play in the steering. It is similar to a problem I solved by replacing the upper & lower intermediate steering shaft. I did not, however, replace the 'key' (don't have the FSM handy for the correct term) used to hold the two halves together. Everything seemed fine until right about the time I first heard the noise described above. This is VERY minor - a lot of people probably wouldn't even notice it - but it bugs me. Anyway, it doesn't do it all of the time and I can 'feel' it in the gas & brake pedals.

All right, any ideas? I'll be sure to let y'all know what I find out Saturday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read your first post just now and I have exactly the same problem with my front swaybar. I have the F-body front bar and the bracket bent just as you described. I don't recall the brand, it was a polyurethane bushing and bracket (non-greasable) that came with the bar when I ordered it. Maybe PST, but I'm really not sure. The bolt-hole in the bracket is oblong to allow a little wiggle room for getting the hole in the bracket and the hole in the frame lined up. It looks like what happened is that the bracket slipped, or pulled really, to the edge of that hole. It's the front edge of the bracket that pulled towards the back of the car. I know the bracket was properly torqued and the frame is not stripped (which is what the link posted by Navy Lifer addresses). I already undid the bracket once, whacked it back into shape and re-torqued it to spec. About a week later, the problem was back. I figured I would go to the Energy Suspension greasable bushings myself, but now it doesn't sound like that would help. Does anybody have any suggestions about A. what's causing this and B. a good fix/better bracket?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Erik,

I would recommend that you don't go with the Energy bushings since I am having the EXACT SAME problem with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.