Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Front Sway Bar Choice + matching rear bar

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rennick 
#1 ·
I'm running a 1-1/4" Addco sway bar on my 77 Cadillac Coupe Deville, same frame as the 94-96 Fleetwood, I am running SpeedTech control arms, stock Impala SS springs, Monroe severe duty shocks, Stock Impala wheels, 255/50/17 tires, 5/8" spindle for Caprice, in short the entire front end was rebuild using 94-96 Impala/Caprice parts. My problem is severe tire rub with the Addco sway bar. This is a problem that must be solved, because of where I live I must make a u-turn at a cut-thru on a 4 lane road, this requires full steering lock to make the turn and not hit the curve, I don't have the option of just not turning the steering wheel to full lock. I have placed a WTB in the buy/sell section for a stock SS sway bar, figuring that it should clear the tires. However one of the members suggested the f-body sway bar. My question is about tire clearance, what works well and will clear stock size Impala wheels and tires. Right now I have no choice but to remove the Addco bar as the tire rub is at a dangerous level. If the f-body sway bar is a good choice what would you run for the back?

If I recall the Hotchkis setup was subject to breaking when subjected to turning/backing down a steep driveway onto a level road. Since this also describes the driveway to my house, plus I tend pull out quickly due to traffic, I don't think the Hotchkis would be a good choice, plus I think it’s a little expensive at nearly $600 for front/rear.

Total weight for the car is about 4100 lbs, with a few more pounds on the front than stock due to a 514CID Cadillac engine. The engine made 511HP on the dyno, so I looking for a good handling setup, not a Cadillac soft suspension setup.

I know there used to be a lot of information about this on the forum, but it all seems to be gone.

See less See more
#3 ·
FYI, I got a BMR larger sized impala bar its called, My tires rub all day on it, just so you know. Rennick, what size tire r u running??

#4 ·
Rennick - What size tires are you running on your Roadmaster, I also own a Roadmaster and I don't have any problems with tire rub with the stock 235/70/15, but I'm not so sure it I were running 255/50/17's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.