Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can never leave well enough alone when it comes to my springs. :rolleyes:

I am running Global West front springs and Eibach rears. I like the combination as far as handling and ride quality. The only thing was, I thought I would like the front to be a bit lower, so I cut one half coil off the front springs. Seemed to work great, I got the look I wanted (the center of the wheel is 13 ¾ inches from the fender lip), the ride stiffened up nicely (reduced what body roll I have left), handles better than ever doing donuts.....but now the front tires rub!!!! :mad:

I replaced the front Eibach’s with the Global West’s to stop the front tires from rubbing. It worked great, I had no rubbing during any type of driving with stock Global West springs. Now that they are cut down, the outside of the front tires hit the inner fender if I hit a really hard bump (like a pot hole). I am running stock size Potenza’s.

Question One: How do people run lowered cars with stock tires? Live with rubbing? Or does everyone change to a 40 series tire?

My ultimate goal is to run 275x40x18 (Kumho finally makes an affordable 18). Anybody running this with a lowered front end? (I know this question should be in the tire section of the forum).

Question 2: Can a front end alignment bring the tires inboard? I mean, can I have shims removed and still have an adjustment to get the tires aligned correctly? If I could move the top of the tire in 1/8 inch or so, it would help.

Question C: I want stiffer shocks and this might help this situation a bit. I want a stiffer shock on the compression side. Are the HALS adjustable on the compression stroke or only on the rebound stroke?

Thanks,

Mike
P.S. Ever since I put the Global West's (uncut) on my car one side was about 1/4 inch higher in the front (yes springs were indexed correctly). It always bugged me, but I didn't know how to address it. When I removed the springs to cut them down I notice that one spring was longer than the other! Great quality control! hee, hee.

On the Global West springs the last coil on the lower end of the spring is closer together (like a progressive spring would be). On one of my springs, the end of the spring was about 1/4 inch farther from touching the next coil than the other spring was. When I cut the end off the spring, the problem went away. I cut out the bad spot and now the car is within 1/8 inch from level in the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How do people run lowered cars with stock tires? Live with rubbing? Or does everyone change to a 40 series tire?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most change to a 40 series tire. And some just live with rubbing.

As for 275/40R18s : you'll wanna run them on a 9" or 9.5" wide rim. I personally think it's gonna rub WORSE than what you have now. Might be better off with an 18x8" rim (with 5" backspacing, which will "pull in" the outer lip by about 1/2") with a 245/45R18 tire (same diameter as a 275/40R18). Downside is it won't handle as well as the 275 tire due to being narrower.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Can a front end alignment bring the tires inboard? I mean, can I have shims removed and still have an adjustment to get the tires aligned correctly? If I could move the top of the tire in 1/8 inch or so, it would help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you add shims to bring it inboard (i.e. add more negative camber), but yes you can get more clearance that way. That is one of the tricks we used on Tully's car to make it drivable. It's definitely an "eyeballed" alignment right now
, but I'd guess he has AT LEAST -3° of camber!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I want stiffer shocks and this might help this situation a bit. I want a stiffer shock on the compression side. Are the HALS adjustable on the compression stroke or only on the rebound stroke?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it adjusts both at once. Try them, you won't be disappointed.

BTW Mike, I'm seriously thinking of cutting my GW fronts as well. Downside is that I would have to give up on that plan for 315s in front, but upside is it'd look better. When you cut 1/2 coil, how much exactly did the car drop?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I didn’t measure my “before” height when I cut my springs. I meant too, but just forgot. I would guess-ti-mate that I lowered about 1/2-3/4 inch. If you are shooting for a 1 inch drop, I think cutting a full coil would be too much. Maybe if you cut about 3/4 of a coil you would get a 1 inch drop.

I now measure exactly 13.75 inches from the center of the wheel (centerline of the front axle) to the highest part of the fender lip on both sides. I think if you were to cut ½ coil you would be at this same measurement? What does your car measure now? That would at least give you an idea of where to go. Also, I always figured I could cut more but not less. :^) Right now the fender lip is almost exactally at the top of the stock sized tire.

Maybe I will have to go with 40 series tires on 17 inch wheels. I always like the look of a big fat/tall tire tucked in the fender. But, not at the expense of rubbing. I am going to Thunderhill in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how the rubbing goes.

Thanks Ed,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.