Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a very interesting situation on my hands that I’ve never experienced. I’m hoping someone here has because it happened unexpectedly. Today I got around to getting the SS back on the streets and when I wanted to use my turn signals, they just lit up and did not flash. However, I checked to see if they lit up at least all around to make sure the bulbs are fine (which they are since I replaced them not long ago). They did not in the front and not even the cornering lights come on. The rear bulbs are fine. That’s not the interesting part though. When I turn on my headlights, the turn signal bulb turns on but only passenger side, driver side does not. Wires and bulbs seem to be fine. I have ZERO clue as to what’s going on but my guess would be a flasher switch or a fuse? Would it be possible to upgrade it or simply replace it or is it something else?

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
I would try replacing the bulbs that are not lighting again.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That’s not the interesting part though. When I turn on my headlights, the turn signal bulb turns on but only passenger side, driver side does not.
As there is no circuit connection between the headlights and the signals. I looked at the grounds. According to Goldwagon's diagram the headlights use the same ground bolts as the turn signals.

the bulbs are fine (which they are since I replaced them not long ago).
The bulbs should be 2057NA. 1157NA will work but LED bulbs will USUALLY cause problems with these cars.

So check that you have regular bulbs and that they are functioning, but I expect you have a grounding problem.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The FSM suggests you use a test light at the connector at the base of the column to verify that the turn signal switch is OK.
It also suggests that you check grounds.
You could try a test wire between the ground point and the negative battery bolt and see if the light works.
I expect since left and right are not working you have a problem with the sheet metal grounding.
As the posted diagram suggests the two ground points are behind the headlights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As there is no circuit connection between the headlights and the signals. I looked at the grounds. According to Goldwagon's diagram the headlights use the same ground bolts as the turn signals.

The bulbs should be 2057NA. 1157NA will work but LED bulbs will USUALLY cause problems with these cars.

So check that you have regular bulbs and that they are functioning, but I expect you have a grounding problem.
[/QUOT
Yes, I believe it is more than a bulb problem. If my bulbs were bad, my cornering lights would come on but they don't. Actually, now that I think about it, are the ground wires for the front signals bolted down in front of the ICM and coil? It seems odd that I didn't have this issue before I removed them and now I do since I reinstalled them. I did disconnect the battery while I was doing the ICM and coil though.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
now that I think about it, are the ground wires for the front signals bolted down in front of the ICM and coil? I
As the posted diagram suggests the two ground points are behind the headlights.
The cornering lights, turn signals, park lights, and head lights all are attached to the two grounding points identified as G106/G107 on the posted diagram. The sheet metal parts should all be receiving their ground from the battery to fender ground wire. Usually if the wire (battery to fender) connection goes bad you have a list of malfunctions. On old rusty cars I usually run a separate ground wire to several main ground points to prevent the weird issues that happen when a ground point fails.

Just about any wire you can find temporally attach between the negative battery bolt and one of the grounds would be a quick test. Booster cables are overkill but would work for the test.

From experience with similar issues your head lights may not be working to full brightness and you would not want to drive the car on unlit roadways.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cornering lights, turn signals, park lights, and head lights all are attached to the two grounding points identified as G106/G107 on the posted diagram. The sheet metal parts should all be receiving their ground from the battery to fender ground wire. Usually if the wire (battery to fender) connection goes bad you have a list of malfunctions. On old rusty cars I usually run a separate ground wire to several main ground points to prevent the weird issues that happen when a ground point fails.

Just about any wire you can find temporally attach between the negative battery bolt and one of the grounds would be a quick test. Booster cables are overkill but would work for the test.

From experience with similar issues your head lights may not be working to full brightness and you would not want to drive the car on unlit roadways.
You’re right. It’s a ground issue because I switched the flashers and although the signals flashed on the instrument panel, front ones still do not work. I will check the ground wires now.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The cornering lamps are on a separate fuse from the turn signals and what you said suggested your rear lights are functioning as brake and turn signals.
This probably rules out the fuses.

It would be hard to believe 2 out of three sections of the turn signal switch have quit without any signs of physical damage.

Testing for a bad ground is easy so it is the best next step.

Do not celebrate until it is actually fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cornering lamps are on a separate fuse from the turn signals and what you said suggested your rear lights are functioning as brake and turn signals.
This probably rules out the fuses.

It would be hard to believe 2 out of three sections of the turn signal switch have quit without any signs of physical damage.

Testing for a bad ground is easy so it is the best next step.

Do not celebrate until it is actually fixed.
When I checked the fuses, they were in decent condition. It's puzzling because I never dealt with anything like this but I will be checking in the coming days. I located the passenger side ground wire but was confused about the driver side. I know that the passenger ground is right by the battery but on the driver side, there are multiple wires/connections. I will have to upload a picture to accurately explain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have now replaced my flasher unit and the problem still persists. I checked my fuses and they’re fine. I also went ahead and replaced my turn signal bulbs and it helped turn on the passenger side side marker light but still no front signals.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Top picture is driver side ground and bottom are the wires I assume to be ground(s). I’m not experienced with this stuff whatsoever.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
223 Posts
I do believe the last pic is your horns.

Reactions: Z09B4U

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another quick update in case anyone has this problem in the future; I replaced both turn signal bulbs (2057 NA), the turn signal flasher (GM 19209674), and the turn signal switch (AC Delco D9001). I still do not have turn signals in the front, so all signs point towards a ground issue. I realize I could have checked the grounds first instead of buying a bunch of parts, but at least I won't have to worry about the switch or flasher being an issue anytime soon.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Another quick update in case anyone has this problem in the future; I replaced both turn signal bulbs (2057 NA), the turn signal flasher (GM 19209674), and the turn signal switch (AC Delco D9001). I still do not have turn signals in the front, so all signs point towards a ground issue. I realize I could have checked the grounds first instead of buying a bunch of parts, but at least I won't have to worry about the switch or flasher being an issue anytime soon.
Look at the ground on the inside face of the core support next to the radiator tank.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I also went ahead and replaced my turn signal bulbs and it helped turn on the passenger side side marker light but still no front signals.
Were the sockets rusted? maybe take some pictures unless they looked brand new.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Were the sockets rusted? maybe take some pictures unless they looked brand new.
No, my sockets are in good condition and the wires are still intact. I checked them out before replacing the bulbs and they light up with the headlights but still no turn signals up front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts