Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for a 96 impala
what size socket and or wrench do i need to take the upper ball joint off?
are the 96 impala upper ball joints are the the same size as the stock lower ball joints?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
If they are original, you need a drill to remove the rivets. The new one will use bolts and nuts to install. Uppers and lowers are different animals.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct sir. i bought qa1 tubular front and lower control arms. i just want to double check i have the correct ball joint sizes for the qa1 arms. that is why i was wondering what socket size would fit on the upper castle nut and lower castle nut to see if they match?
unless there is another way to check what size they?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I did not have enough information to give you the answer you were looking for. I believe the upper and lower castle nuts are different. I can not quote the size. You can use a caliper to measure them. Another way is to try some open end wrenches until you find one that fits.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
If the ball joints are stock, they have 7/8" nuts top and bottom I believe.

Nab

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
this is for a 96 impala
what size socket and or wrench do i need to take the upper ball joint off?
are the 96 impala upper ball joints are the the same size as the stock lower ball joints?
This is the type of question we really can't answer. Just try an assortment of sockets till you find what fits. Cause as you may see in this thread, depending on BJ type and manufacturer, it could be a few different sizes.

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/351769-my-5-8-bj-install-pics-tips-part-s.html

Fred touched on some of the differences but there are just to many variables to say. But really how hard is it for you to take a handful of sockets to find one that fits. For example, I used a Moog BJ but swapped out the nut to a larger GM nut. I believe different vendors, could just as well have different size hardware.

Word of advice - be careful doing this repair. If you aren't familiar with doing this work, get a shop cause it can be dangerous dealing with the front springs.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
If you take reasonable precautions, the springs are not a danger. You really have to try to get them out, or they will stay put. When removing the spindle, loosen but do not remove the castle nuts. When the BJs let go, they will only go as far as the nut. Then you can jack the control arm, take them off, and lower the arm in a controlled manner. The uppers are easier to remove if you tap the studs out. You can reinstall them easily with a standard nut instead of the prevailing torque nut, and replace the standard one when you have the arm in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts