Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the uninitiated (myself), what is the advantage to these?
Replaces your stock rag joint steering arm. These shafts have U joints for a "tighter" feel, there's no play unlike what can happen with a worn rag joint. Simple bolt on, the Jeep shafts have a clinch bolt design, you just need to make a small notch in the end of the steering column for the bolt to pass cleanly.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
For the uninitiated (myself), what is the advantage to these?

All star about covered it. A lot of the 80s Monte Carlo guys use these too. I have one to install on my car but can't til I replace my Hooker Super Comp headers they interfere with the jeep shaft. Not only do the rag joints get loose but the rubber boot up near the column on the stock shaft are typically torn and allow the grease out of the joint. From all the feed back I've seen, these do a great job to tighten up the steering.

These thread has lots of info and there are others if you do a quick search....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/243695-jeep-shaft-install.html

Btw - his pricing at $60 shipped is really good.

·
Registered
485 Posts
As far as header clearance is concerned, anyone happen to know if these work with Clear Image Automotive gen 2 tri-y's? Also would anyone happen to know if they also fit the Fleetwood? I feel like the headers won't be an issue, but I'd have to take a closer look myself to see how much clearance there is and it's dark out right now. Also I know the Fleetwood is a fair bit longer than the B-bodies, but not sure if they still used the same steering shaft, never really looked into that before. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as header clearance is concerned, anyone happen to know if these work with Clear Image Automotive gen 2 tri-y's? Also would anyone happen to know if they also fit the Fleetwood? I feel like the headers won't be an issue, but I'd have to take a closer look myself to see how much clearance there is and it's dark out right now. Also I know the Fleetwood is a fair bit longer than the B-bodies, but not sure if they still used the same steering shaft, never really looked into that before. Any info is appreciated.

Not sure about the Tri Y fitment. These will fit caddy (what year is your Fleetwood?). These fit a number of different GM vehicles. A/B/F/G-bodies, truck, ...ect..

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure about the Tri Y fitment. These will fit caddy (what year is your Fleetwood?). These fit a number of different GM vehicles. A/B/F/G-bodies, truck, ...ect..
Mine's a '94. I need to get under the hood in the next week anyways, bad plug wire causing a very noticeable misfire. I'll see how close the factory components come to the headers, if there's plenty of room I might snag one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would love to tighten up the steering on my 95 RMW. How do we do this, Paypal?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
That's exactly what I'm replacing my headers with once I get Dan to make me some cats and a new catback setup. :wink2: From what I could see eyeballing the header, the Tri-ys would not be a problem with the jeep shaft. Can't speak on the Caddy issue with the jeep shaft but check that 130+ post thread to see if anyone else mentioned it. I gotta believe these shafts have been used on the Caddys but I only have Chevy experience.

FYI - Did a quick search using "tri y header jeep shaft" which had about 6 hits and the last was this thread. Seems to answer your question regarding genII tri y fitment

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/259651-jeep-shaft.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's exactly what I'm replacing my headers with once I get Dan to make me some cats and a new catback setup. :wink2: From what I could see eyeballing the header, the Tri-ys would not be a problem with the jeep shaft. Can't speak on the Caddy issue with the jeep shaft but check that 130+ post thread to see if anyone else mentioned it. I gotta believe these shafts have been used on the Caddys but I only have Chevy experience.

FYI - Did a quick search using "tri y header jeep shaft" which had about 6 hits and the last was this thread. Seems to answer your question regarding genII tri y fitment

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/259651-jeep-shaft.html

Hope this helps.
Much appreciation for your help. I'll take a look at that thread and go from there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check PM.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts