Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed the full Racetronics upgrade to run the LS 6.0 im putting into the Imp. today I decided to tackle taking the pump back out because the fuel gauge was always reading fuel low, me guessing i had not set the float right.

Pulled the tank part way down and unbolted the pump. Next thing I know tank slides off the support, drops to the ground and &&#^#% happens.

Broke the float in half, bent the return tube , bad, and now the sending unit is really acting crazy.

To the point, I need to fix this but dont want to buy a complete new fuel pump assembly only to have to gut it and modify for the racetronics parts.

I need the sending unit only. I think I can save the return tube. I have not been able to find seperate parts.

The wiper board is in rough shape , Did a real 3X inspection and end wires are breaking, nothing burnt but its what 20 years old, geesh. Do I fall on the sword and buy a whole new assembly or is there another way ?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'd just buy a $77 complete Spectra SP128B1H unit from Rock Auto and "gut" as necessary for the Racetronics parts, but that's just me. The cost is worth it to not deal with trying to straighten out the tube and fiddle with a 20+ year old, fragile sending unit.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Agree with 3Impalas as I would recommend you get a new SU too. No point in trying to mess with that bent/busted up unit. A lot of the parts between GM and the Aftermarket Sending unit's can be shared.

I've been down this road before and also upgraded to the Full Racetronix setup on my car. You may find this thread helpful as it also has some pics I took of all the associated parts to the Sending unit. Personally, I really like the new design of the Resistive Wipe for the Fuel Gauge as it seems so much more robust than that little thin wrapped wire. HTH's...

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/34-engine-problems-maintenance/1239986-fuel-sending-unit-gm-vs-spectra.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts