Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all

I searched through old posts--if there was something on this topic I must have missed it.

I'm getting ready to replace the old 158,000 mile injectors on my 95 FWB with new Standard FJ164 ones from Rock Auto. The shop manual indicates a nylon "O-ring backup" on the lower end of the injector (item 22 on the attached diagram) and specifies using it when replacing injectors to avoid vacuum leaks. As shown in the other pic, the new injectors have no such nylon ring. I haven't found a p/n on GM sites like Nalley/Tonkin or at the online parts stores.

I assume the original ones in the car are now baked and brittle and that all 8 won't survive when removing the old injectors.

I'll lube the new O-rings with oil and make sure the mounting holes are clean. So, should I ignore the nylon O ring backup when installing the new injectors?

Many thanks for any advice...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Just sort of interested in this so I looked. Check this out-https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3787476&cc=1027404&jsn=429
The 8 black rings on the top look as if that is what you need if your injectors don't have them. I may be wrong & I'm sure more folks who really know will chime in.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Looks like the link posted shows the spacers with the O rings from RA

IDK if the shank on the replacement injectors allows for this spacer so compare side by side.

Been at least 15 years since I had my stock injectors in so can't remember what they had. With that said my 30# Ford SVO's don't have that spacer and no issues or vac leaks

FWIW injectors can be refurbished. I use www.cruzinperformance.com

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about them. I recently went with a set of accell injectors and didn't bother to move them over. My old ijectors still have them and you're welcome to them if Ican get them off.

But when installing, I just mad sure to lube up the o-Rings and Bores with a little motor oil. Still had a hard time getting the fuel Rail to drop onto the intake and didn't want to force it. So I also to a Q-Tip and with some motor oil lubed up the inside of each injector bore on the intake and they dropped right in. No leaks or issues and the car ran great.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Don't worry about the backup o-rings. If you can get ahold of viton o-rings, you'll be better for it. I sprayed my fingers with WD40 and then rubbed my fingers on the o-rings and the injectors dropped right in. Keeps from using too much oil.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to everyone! The Standard injectors have Viton o-rings already. I'll make sure the rings and injector bores are clean and oil-lubed, and give it a go. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts