Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled fuel tank, and had an accident where the tank dropped off the jack. It pulled the QDs out of the lines but I was ab le to reinstall with no problem. After reinstalling and filling tank, I turn key on. All seemed good till I cycled the key 3 or 4 times, when a pretty good sized gush was coming from over the axle just over the shock mount. I dont see a connector , any Ideas ??

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Pulled fuel tank, and had an accident where the tank dropped off the jack. It pulled the QDs out of the lines but I was ab le to reinstall with no problem. After reinstalling and filling tank, I turn key on. All seemed good till I cycled the key 3 or 4 times, when a pretty good sized gush was coming from over the axle just over the shock mount. I dont see a connector , any Ideas ??
so if on driver side can be the nylon line got cracked ...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driver side , but I cant see the source. I put wife in car and put car on lift. Turn key on and get a flood of gas coming from the arear over the shock tower.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Driver side , but I cant see the source. I put wife in car and put car on lift. Turn key on and get a flood of gas coming from the area over the shock tower.

nylon lines do get brittle as they age. I did just do , the fuel filter change and I was very careful to bend those lines.. others did report they cracked the line..

I did have a tough time removing the down stream fuel filter nylon line.. filter pipe had some rust on it I put some spray lube on the lock and wiggled it but not hard .. it did come off .. when I finished the job I put a prime fused jumper on and then slid under to check for any leaks ..

there are connectors that you can get to cut out the cracked area then plug in the double ended female fitting for nylon ..

use a good light since you have a lift that is good ..

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, pressure line from tank to fuel filter cracked. I was able to get a flashlight up in the hole and see the spray move when I moved the line. Now the fun part. Finding a replacement.

·
Registered
976 Posts
you can buy nylon line in rolls and individual fittings.
not expensive or hard.

napa/autozone/oreillys

probably have to do your own research for correct fittings.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Or,get a pair of AN-06 adapters to run AN-06 hose fittings from tank to fuel filter. Possibly an easier/quicker solution...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
They also offer them in AN-08...

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Yep, pressure line from tank to fuel filter cracked. I was able to get a flashlight up in the hole and see the spray move when I moved the line. Now the fun part. Finding a replacement.
I have used these,,, https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-193-Fuel-Line-Connector/dp/B008ZCF8WA/ref=asc_df_B008ZCF8WA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857954183&psc=1
on air lines . have to cut the nylon line perfectly then add some oil in the fitting. cut must be clean .. mark the line so you know it is in the full amount.. I never used this on gas but I never had problem with air leaking.. I did this at my job on transportation vehicles .. part of a setup on the operation of the air control parts..

·
Registered
10,898 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I got lucky. Not having any experience with this type fuel line, I assumed that when the hose barb was pulled out of the line , that all that was needed was to re insert it and I put an additional hose clamp around the connector. Well, the barb just pushed the line back up inside the insulation jacket. When pump turned on fuel just followed the jacket back up and dumped fuel out where I was seeing it. Short story, Fixed the barb line correctly and all good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts