Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel pump has been getting weak(hard starts, lag on takeoff) and luckily I was home when it failed.
Put the pressure tester on and it had 5 psi, I guess not enough to squirt.

No problem, just drop the tank, etc - but NO. One fuel line was hard to disconnect, but it got worse.
It's a 96 roadmaster wagon, with 77,000 miles. The connections were metal body not plastic and there was corrosion. The tip was half gone and the pump return cracked when I removed it.

:):)
Guess I was lucky it hadn't come apart or leaked.

Looked at a new line...discontinued for course. Stuff on ytube about getting a new connector and heat shrinking onto the fuel line stub didn't sound like fun under the car.

A mechanic suggested a plastic fitting from Advance Auto that is like a sharkbite fitting, but the line here has a very slight bend and I was afraid the bend would hinder a good seal. Was able to buy a plastic ended GM line connection with a 12" line attached. I only needed about 4 inches of repair.

Found the answer at AA with a compression type fitting that has a tit that goes into the tube and the fitting nut then locks down hard between the stub and the nut. Cut my OEM line and cut the repair piece down to 4" . I've got 300 miles on it now and no leaks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
If you are happy then we are happy.
It is not a long distance to the filter and you could have made a new line from sender to filter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured I'd find a similar corrosion issue on filter removal. Had enough fun with the pump and fitting repair. Visually filter looked normal ...on disassembly, who knows.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Also is possible to build your own replacement lines for less than $70. Here's my parts list from an older thread.

Nylon Line Pieces

So it looks like I'll need the following to make this option work.

800-080 - 2 pack of 5/16ths Steel to 5/16ths Nylon Quick Disconnects - $3.50
800-082.5 - 5 pack of 3/8ths Steel to 3/8ths Nylon Quick Disconnects (Use 4) - $15
800-071 - 25ft of 5/16ths Nylon Tubing - $21
800-072 - 25ft of 3/8ths Nylon Tubing - $24

Total - $63.50

Tools
A caulking gun, a flare tool tube holder and a light oil. Should allow me to assemble like this.

Nylon Fuel line fitting attachment - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Obviously I will no longer have a joint in the frame near the front and I'll need to make sure I run it with big enough bend radii.

After reviewing my budget while the AN would sure be pretty I can't currently afford it.

-Brian

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think the filter housings are stainless steel. don’t recall seeing a rusty filter housing.
I've seen rusty filter housings. Perhaps it depends on the quality/brand of filter used. Zinc coated versus stainless, etc.

I've also seen these fuel fittings rust out just like the OP and yes, this thread is on the right track with repair options.

I've fixed this both ways. Replace the entire line or spice it just like the OP. Living in the rust belt is a PITA. LOL

Reactions: Jim Paley

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Interesting product.
I wonder if anyone but Dorman makes them. I generally refuse to use that brand. Had too many problems with too many of their parts. So I now vote with my wallet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts