Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally found time to cut off the aluminum shell and disassemble the original fuel pump with 124,000 miles and almost 24 years on it. As you can see there is a bit of rust but nothing to affect functionality. The only defect I found INSIDE of the pump was a broken wire for positive brush. Nevertheless, the pump worked but did not provide enough fuel pressure. The positive brush was also two times shorter than the negative. What surprised me is the fact all the plastic burning you see in one of the pictures was around negative brush area. The connector to the pump did not melt, but the insulation of black ground wire was quite fried. I replaced that pump with Spectra seven months ago, but left the original wiring. Probably a big mistake since I had an intermittent non-start condition two months ago, which I am afraid is fuel pump/wiring related.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
....but left the original wiring. .......

Uh Oh. I'd just bite the bullet and do a do-over with a new harness while your memory is relatively fresh on the r & r. Add a new sender while you're in there. Crimp the lugs down for a tightest possible connection, or some guys solder the wires. Is it ??Airtex?? makes a harness with thicker gauge wires?

EDIT: Interesting that little impeller and housing can build all that pressure. Reminds me exactly of the same parts on the miniature aquarium pump in my wall waterfall.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is an in-tank harness sold by Spectra. Looks pretty solid, but the wires for the sending unit seem to be even thinner than the original ones. I absolutely hate when GM saves on wiring gauge.
I have attached a few pictures of intank wiring I took during the replacement of the fuel pump. The black ground wire has a bit fried insulation, but did not look too too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Thank you for the link. I wish I had budget and time to do such a great job. The man seems to be perfectionist. I used to be he same way. Not anymore. :)
Just trying to help out. A reminder. Read your Sig. :grin2:

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha! I'll most likely find another temporary solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts