Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my fuel pump (along with strainer and harness) about a year and a half ago (20k miles or so) with an airtex because the original died. Well, now this one died too. Both times I got stranded on highway but at least tank was pretty low =/ I am wondering if it is likely that the sending unit is somehow bad and causing this. Should I replace just the fuel pump again or the entire sending unit?

Anyone tried Delphi HP10014 (this is the whole sending unit with pump)?
How about Delphi FE0114 (this is the same size as FE0111 but has about 20% higher flow rate). Also, which harness is best to get?
Opinions about racetronix kit? Its about 40% more expensive with shipping and I do not intend to mod any time soon. This is for my DD and when I asked how long it would take to receive, they simply did not answer the question.

Thanks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I recently lost track of my fuel and got down lower than I normally do. I usually never get below 1/8 of a tank on my gauge. And what do you know, my pump died. If you never let the tank get real low, the pump stays immersed in fuel and is cooled. If you frequently run with low fuel, the pump can run a lot out of the fuel bath and get hot, shortening its life expectancy considerably.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am well aware of this. However, it is utterly irrelevant to my questions...thanks though

·
Registered
854 Posts
How is that irrelevant to your question?

You said yourself...
"Both times I got stranded on highway but at least tank was pretty low...Should I replace just the fuel pump again or the entire sending unit? "

If you know its bad for the fuel pump to run low on fuel and you've got stuck twice cause of it you probably answered your own question. The guy was just probably trying to say replace the fuel pump because running low on fuel f's them up.

As for which pumps/sending units are best he didn't answer that, but your first question was "Should I replace just the fuel pump again or the entire sending unit? "

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
A common problem is the bulkhead connector internal to the fuel tank where the wiring comes out of the sender through the top of the tank, if the connector is burnt and causing higher amperage it could cause a higher load/amp condition in the motor of the fuel pump and cause it to fail, usually though it will give you poor fuel pressure, most just remove the connector and solder the wires to the pins

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason for even mentioning that gas was low (its got about 6 or 7 gallons) was to say that even though I got stuck on the highway, at least it will be an easy job. I know the common reasons these pumps go bad, just wanted to see if there was something I missed. I was asking if it is likely that the sending unit is bad so that I could try to figure out what to order without dropping the tank since I am short on time. Doesnt matter though as I will just drop the tank and inspect it now. So no, none of my questions were answered.

94MI9C1, thanks for the actual response. last time I simply replaced the harness, I will make sure to solder the bulkhead connection this time and refurb the sending unit while at it (assuming it looks good when I pull it).

So, anyone tried Delphi FE0114? Flow rate is 140.6LPH compared to 115.1LPH for FE0111. Same size and positioning of inlet/outlet. Not sure about connector though. Main reason for leaning towards 0114 is because it ships from amazon so will be faster and cheaper.
Any idea why the different strainers are listed? One is offset, the other centered.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
94 is talking about actually checking and replacing the entire bulkhead itself, not just simply soldering the wires to it. Racetronix sells a replacement bulkhead so you don't have to buy a new sending unit to get one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Final update. Pump tested fine wired directly to battery. Visually inspected bulkhead connector and harness and no signs of burning; tested and showed no resistance from body harness to tank pins. Apparently the connector from bulkhead to internal harness was making bad contact. Soldered wires directly to bulkhead and problem fixed. Thank you very much 94MI9C1 and Buffman...saved me close to a hundred bucks since I didnt have to buy a pump and strainer.

Also, it is possible to do this job without having to raise the car. I did since I don't have my jack stands here at school. You have to remove the straps completely, and putting it back up was more difficult than if raised since there is so much less room to work with. I breathed in to raise it the last little bit.

And one last thing, before doing this my car felt like it had a little trouble starting up...this completely eliminated that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts