Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 9C1. I ve only had it for about 3mo. I havent done much to it yet besides change the plugs, oil+filter, brakes and air filter. Other things i need to fix: Exhaust manifold gasket. has a leak.(bought gaskets, just havent changed them yet.) Radiator. Has a tiny crack at top left corner. under silicone hose. leaks. Coolant flush. doing that as soon as i get a new radiator. I think my alignment is off and i think my front wheel bearings are shot or almost are. The whole front end is a squeekfest. Im guessing the bushing are shot or need to be greased up hella bad. not sure about the springs or shocks. Steering wanders bad. when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel points to the right. The car idles fine. (except the EM leak) when driving,it has rattling noise as i accellarate. Not sure what that is??? not good tho. It has high miles so i'd like to give it a nice tune up. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
Explain the rattling noise a bit more your engine makes. Is it a pinging sound? Or is does it sound kinda like gravel rolled around in a coffee can sound? How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
275k miles. It has a few different noises. 1's like a grinding noise while the wheels turn.(im guessing wheel bearings) Another is like something knocking on metal. its gets faster as i speed up. The car also squeaks when its in drive at a stop. or when driving slowly. But when the car is in park, idling, it doesnt squeak or make any of the other noises. I hate seeing my car like this. I know shes a POS now, but shes mine.:D

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
sounds like you have several problems your going to have to deal with. The noise your engine is making is something you need to address first,if your motor is toast then the other problems won't matter. When you changed oil,did you do it or a quick lube type place? If you did it,do you member if there was any metal flakes or bits that came out? Did you not wash the oil drain pan? because you can look and see if you have any bits sticking to the pan. Is the old oil filter handy,so that you can look inside for metal? Have you ran a scan tool to see if you have any codes? If your running real lean your engine will make funky noises. Welcome to the high mileage B body club.
There are more qualified members who are better at trouble shooting then I am and they will chime in and offer help. We have a great bunch of guys on this forum.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Maybe since you know it has the manifold leak, the knocking on metal sound is the leak you are hearing from the engine? Btw i also noticed my car squeaking while in drive but not in park. Upon further investigation, my belt tensioners spring has busted the aluminum and and almost undone itself from the stop. Also, if the radiator leak is moderate to bad, air will get into the system and throw off the cts, causing bad performance. Just a few thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.