Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Driftwood Metallic 5.8 Vortec TBI
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some fuel issues. I'm running a vortec headed TBI and during the swap my pump hose on sender was different than what came with the tpi pump. I went with the cheaper pump instead of walbro. I resued the old hose and I think i may have a pin hole in it-still have to drop tank. I am wondering if the 94-96 pump will fit the 93 tank? I was in middle of tuning and car went lean (16AFR) and my BLMs rose to 160-170 new regulator and yellow spring. pressure is only at 19 when it should be at ~28. I was going to get a 91-92 sender since it just hangs with straight hose compared to what is in 93 but if the LT1 pump drops in and plugs the same I'd go that route. seem like tp1 and lt1 would flow similar rates
Tire Bicycle part Camera accessory Machine Auto part
93 pump has spring and curled hose. sprectre part# starts similar SP128A1H

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Machine
91-92 hangs with straight hose SP10H1H same quick connects

Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim Auto part
LT1 has different hose but same quick connects as the others part # similar to 93 SP128B1H. pump sililar specs to the TPI pump i used for the original swap
Tire Bicycle part Camera accessory Machine Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Machine
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if LT1 cant work I guess I can use 91-92 style with walbro 255. quick connects and electrical look the same

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gonna order new sending unit but going to swap fuel filter first- been 3 yrs. see if pressure changes

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a sender assembly off ebay yesterday. all the new ones have smaller ground wire going to pump for some reason. when unit arrives I may address but either way the lt1 pump will be plenty of fuel @~28psi on tbi. just sucks I can't tune anymore moment until i address pump

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fuel pump has failed again! The relay is also cracked and appears to have been over heated and has been replaced with the OEM part.
Now there are not too many options when replacing the fuel pump unless you still have an original GM housing. The pump was replaced with the Spectra unit so I am not sure whether the spare GM pump will fit.

GM does not sell the complete assembly any longer. The AC Delco site shows two parts listed for the Impala. The MU2430 pump and sender housing (19422390) comes without the pump. This is listed on Rock Auto $81.79.
The pump is EP376 (25163464) and is the same unit that we have as a spare and it is listed for $76.79. For the combined parts that comes to $158.58.

Rock Auto has the Ultra-Power assembly listed for less than $86.00.

The Spectra SP128B1H lists for $213.30 on Amazon.

I came across some off brands on EBAY but I am reluctant to try them

When the pump is removed from the tank the decision will be to buy the GM/ACD parts and install the completed assembly or install the pump motor in the Spectra housing.

I am considering making a hole in the trunk so the tank does not have to be dropped to replace the pump. Has anyone already made this modification?

I have a 2002 LeSabre and there is a cover in the trunk that makes this repair so much easier. I will try to make a cover similar to what is installed there.

Parts replacement options have decreased as time goes on. I like to have reliable parts to ensure that they don't fail after a short service period. I do not see and pressure or volume ratings for the parts listed in this post.+

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
I am considering making a hole in the trunk so the tank does not have to be dropped to replace the pump. Has anyone already made this modification?
Yes, a handful of guys have done it.

Personally, I don't find it necessary. Dropping the tank is easy, especially once you've done it.

In my opinion, cutting an access hole would only make sense for someone with physical limitations. If you are able-bodied and/or have a lift, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
There will still be a few things to disconnect from under the car, if I'm not mistaken, so, unless it's REALLY better for you to do it from inside the trunk, drop the tank like the rest of us do.
We don't know your particulars. It may be better for you to work on the tank from inside the trunk.
But there's more than one reason why there are no threads or even posts explaining how to cut up the trunk (or the rearmost footwell) for removing / replacing the fuel pump assembly.
When the pump is removed from the tank the decision will be to buy the GM/ACD parts and install the completed assembly or install the pump motor in the Spectra housing.
Although not strictly necessary, this may be a very good time to consider upgrading the pump and /or the wiring to exceed OE standards.
Parts replacement options have decreased as time goes on.
Especially if one does not consider upgrades.
Keep in mind that faulty wiring never helps an electrical fuel pump last longer.

Reactions: Sinister
1 - 9 of 9 Posts