Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Fuel Tank Dimensions - Sedan

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Fix Until Broke 
#1 ·
Does anyone happen to have a B body sedan fuel tank that they could measure some dimensions?

Overall width, length and depth to the nearest ~1/2" or so?

Thanks in advance...

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Nothing too exciting...friend of mine has an 80's G body and wants more than the 17-18 gallons that they hold.

I think there's room to get a B body sedan fuel tank in there, but if someone had some measurements, it might help sway the decision one way or another. B body tank has the in-tank fuel pump, baffling, etc that's necessary for the fuel injection on this car, so from that standpoint it becomes "bolt in" and readily available service parts if necessary.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
There's ~38" between the frame and the spare tire well on a G body - subject to body/frame centering variances

The tank on my wagon measures ~39" wide, but the wagon is wider than the sedan. The G Body fuel tank has the filler neck offset to the right of the tank since the tank is offset to the left in the frame/body. There woudl need to be some re-routing of the filler neck, but that shouldn't be too bad to do.

An other option is to remove the spare tire well, cover it with something like this (https://scottrodfab.com/g-body-78-88/127-1095-g-body-spare-tire-cover.html#/1-color-natural), then the b body tank bolts in, centered with the filler neck, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.