Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Fuel Tank Dimensions - Sedan

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Fix Until Broke 
#1 ·
Does anyone happen to have a B body sedan fuel tank that they could measure some dimensions?

Overall width, length and depth to the nearest ~1/2" or so?

Thanks in advance...

#3 ·
Nothing too exciting...friend of mine has an 80's G body and wants more than the 17-18 gallons that they hold.

I think there's room to get a B body sedan fuel tank in there, but if someone had some measurements, it might help sway the decision one way or another. B body tank has the in-tank fuel pump, baffling, etc that's necessary for the fuel injection on this car, so from that standpoint it becomes "bolt in" and readily available service parts if necessary.

#4 ·
Now 'Follow'ing. My son's '88 Monte SS has a leaker that has trained us to fill it ~5 gallons from 'Full'. Or avoid sharp turns until it is. I'd throw a junkyard run at it if that makes a cheap fix while also adding capacity and the improved design.

In some poking around I found the last gen B-'s tank quite pricey at ~$460, but this also popped up as a MUCH cheaper alternate. It does not show capacity, but it does provide dimensions ['85-'89 Caprice application]:

Even though his is strictly a garage queen, you've prompted me to move ahead with replacing his leaker with 'something' at least. Unless you already have the the dims. on the G-body tank to compare with those posted above, I'll measure his to see if it's a viable option. Oorrr, just get the Dorman $200 oem solution. BTW, I'm sure the son thanks you for 'bringing this up' with his dad. :cool:

#7 ·
There's ~38" between the frame and the spare tire well on a G body - subject to body/frame centering variances

The tank on my wagon measures ~39" wide, but the wagon is wider than the sedan. The G Body fuel tank has the filler neck offset to the right of the tank since the tank is offset to the left in the frame/body. There woudl need to be some re-routing of the filler neck, but that shouldn't be too bad to do.

An other option is to remove the spare tire well, cover it with something like this (https://scottrodfab.com/g-body-78-88/127-1095-g-body-spare-tire-cover.html#/1-color-natural), then the b body tank bolts in, centered with the filler neck, etc.

#8 ·
The wagon tank is 38" x 30" x 10 (to the top of the studs), but it is irregular in shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.