Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that this 94 Fleetwood is running again, I need to revisit something I came across while changing the fuel pump out. I found (like many others) that the evaporative emissions or vent hose from the tank had rotted and split. However, this had apparently happened under the prior owner as their apparent solution was to stick a piece of tubing in the hose and use that as a splice, sans any sort of clamp. It looked good enough that every time I'd seen it before it looked like it was all one piece. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

I had to reassemble the car and put the would be 'splice' back in place to get the car out of the driveway it was in - but now that the car is running again, I'd like to fix it. I've seen numerous posts indicating how it can be fixed and I know I should use fuel hose to do it, but I don't seem to be able to find a size or length for the hose. Anyone have any idea?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the vent hose from the fuel tank is IMO 1/4 inch then at the frame support the vent hose is like 1/8inch tubing set inside the 3/8 inch hose that is a cover to protect that small hose that runs threw the frame to the canister .

I had this break off also as the GM reducer connector broke ..had to cut the protective hose covering to get the smaller tubing to connect it ..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
OP, I found that 5''-6"" piece of evap hose coming out of gas tank rotten as well and disconnected form whatever went to evap canister. There was no split, though.
On the "car side" there was a rubber hose with a white nylon tubing inside of it. Did not have my FSM at the moment and was wondering what the hell happened. Ended up replacing the rotted piece with a good one and connecting it to the rubber hose running to evap canister with a piece of a steel brake line. That appeared to be a mistake. The manual states the evap line is nylon, so that what was supposed to be connected to the hose coming from the gas tank.

Here is a picture I took. You cannot see nylon tubing inside of the rubber hose. Anybody with a picture of evap canister with all the stuff connected to it? How does the original connection look at the gas tank en?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually managed to find the answer to my own question. I was at a junkyard this weekend where I found a one owner 94 Fleetwood that was apparently bought directly off the line by an employee at the GM Arlington plant where these things were made - according to the documentation in the vehicle, that is.

Out back, someone had already dropped the tank and pulled the fuel pump, then disconnected the lines. I was able to cut the vent hose back by the frame and remove it. This appears to be an original GM unit, complete with corresponding date stamps. There IS a factory split in the hose - there is a 5/16" ID hose coming from the fuel sender assembly that splices into the nylon hard line mentioned in prior posts. It appears the loose rubber hose that covers the nylon line is just there for abrasion and elemental protection and it's the nylon line that provides the vapor transfer from the hose stub to the carbon canister.

This is the 5/16" ID hose that goes between the sheathed nylon tubing and the fuel sender.

Note single hose clamp (at the sender end) and the abrupt end of the 5/16" hose.

Since I cut the hose assembly off the car, I could slide the sheathing off the nylon tube and this is what it looks like under there.

The nylon tube has a hose barb where it connects to the 5/16" hose so you can actually replace the 5/16" hose without having to replace the entire fuel tank vent line assembly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thank you for the update and pictures. I expect similar connection at the canister.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts