Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who store cars for extended periods of time:

I was on the phone with a marine mechanic today and wanted to pass along some information. In case you don't own a boat, the pleasure boating industry has just gotten slammed with problems due to ethanol in gasoline over the past several years. Most boat tanks are as large as 100-200 gallons, are vented to atmosphere (unlike car tanks which are basically sealed), and they tend to sit unused for long periods of time. The result is that a lot of moisture accumulates in these tanks as well as the fuel breaking down. He said he replaces or repairs so many fuel pumps and fuel injectors a year, it's not even funny.

Anyway, he's been asking around to see what the OEMs are recommending for winter or long-term storage, and recently got an answer from MerCruiser: Fuel stabilizer (like Sta-Bil) plus Outboard Two-stroke oil (TCW3 rated). Auto parts stores sell this stuff. I didn't catch the concentration of TCW3 but I'll go back and ask him.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update - the TCW3 mix ratio they recommended is 50:1. This is what Mercruiser recommended for four-stroke marine engines. Obviously this is pretty aggressive for automotive use and WILL result in smoking while the engine burns it. So, FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Joel, a few months ago I purchased a new Stihl weed eater and blower. They recommended and sold me a bottle of Star Tron that is suppose to fix it all and cure Ethanol problems. I think it was $6 or $7 for an 8oz. bottle and treats 48 gallons of fuel.

www.startron.com

might be worth taking a look at

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
FWIW, our cars are E10 compatible, and the fuel system is sealed. You really don't need to do anything for winter storage.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
I use Sta-Bil, the marine version, based on my mechanic's recommendation. It works great. I sure hope they don't start putting 15% ethanol in our gas.

I'm already using an octane treatment, and the Sta-Bil.

You gotta do, what you gotta do, for a 12:1 engine.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts