Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

Registered
These are old cars. If you like this one fight for it. The key is to find a shop that understands how to diagnose not parts swap.

Turns out his Sales guys put the wrong one up for sale!! Lol He tried to renick on it but I already signed the contract
He tried selling me on a cloned SS he had and said it was better then the cherry Burgundy one I was buying from him lol you should of seen the look on his face and his sales managers face they literally had a full on argument in front of me
Have you heard of the term/concept "Good cop bad cop" or the "good salesman bad sales manager". Salesman gives you a good deal then the sales manager or GM comes in and tells the buyer that the salesman can not offer a feature, option, or price point and in the end a "better deal is made" I have not purchased from a dealer myself but have been with people when the dealer tries these tactics. You reminded me of the time I was helping with a purchase and the car never made it to the mechanics and was towed back. GM:"that car should not have been offered for sale". Ya it was on the lot and the sales team had the keys.馃榿

On this forum you will find that we like these cars. Most of us are sympathetic when there are hard to diagnose problems. Potential buyers should have a firm understanding that these cars will have problems due to age and sometimes these will need a very good person to correct.

How many miles between the dealer and the shop? If you drove city and highway and put on over 50 miles I would guess that the plug work might be the cause. Keyboard diagnostics are not always right. Same for the suggested repairs based only on a error code. These cars will run with bad wire, even crossed wires will let a engine run but usually not well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
These are old cars. If you like this one fight for it. The key is to find a shop that understands how to diagnose not parts swap.

Have you heard of the term/concept "Good cop bad cop" or the "good salesman bad sales manager". Salesman gives you a good deal then the sales manager or GM comes in and tells the buyer that the salesman can not offer a feature, option, or price point and in the end a "better deal is made" I have not purchased from a dealer myself but have been with people when the dealer tries these tactics. You reminded me of the time I was helping with a purchase and the car never made it to the mechanics and was towed back. GM:"that car should not have been offered for sale". Ya it was on the lot and the sales team had the keys.馃榿

On this forum you will find that we like these cars. Most of us are sympathetic when there are hard to diagnose problems. Potential buyers should have a firm understanding that these cars will have problems due to age and sometimes these will need a very good person to correct.

How many miles between the dealer and the shop? If you drove city and highway and put on over 50 miles I would guess that the plug work might be the cause. Keyboard diagnostics are not always right. Same for the suggested repairs based only on a error code. These cars will run with bad wire, even crossed wires will let a engine run but usually not well.
That鈥檚 why I signed up for this form to gain more knowledge from everyone here and get to a point to where I can self diagnostic myself I am very mechanically inclined and can do the work but need to grasp the lingo parts and things like that technical stuff

I do love these cars myself I had a cloned impala in 96 plus 96 was a good year for me just in general. So when I seen this add a Subaru dealership it actually wasn鈥檛 even on the sales floor it was in the back where all the rest of their stock cars were being housed I thought it was one of the workers that worked there.
It鈥檚 stood out Like Subaru ,Subaru, Subaru, what 96 impala! Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I鈥檝e been lurking in this form since I signed up and I鈥檝e already gained a lot of information I鈥檝e read one person had a faulty fuel cap

someone above mentioned AutoZone which I have already went to and I posted the picture above of what they came up with

I am also going to buy the tool to scan this vehicle I鈥檝e already seen there is a sticky on here of codes if any of you have or can suggest a good thread about catalectic converter鈥榮 Not sure if I pronounce that righ?
Let me know

Premium Member
Spit balling here, if the car had its fuel tank replaced, I would guess it might have sat for years with gas turning to crap- varnish .

This has me wondering about gummed up injectors .
If I read back correctly, why would the purchaser have any recourse with anyone past the seller?
Right or wrong, any work prior was done for someone else.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Spit balling here, if the car had its fuel tank replaced, I would guess it might have sat for years with gas turning to crap- varnish .

This has me wondering about gummed up injectors .
If I read back correctly, why would the purchaser have any recourse with anyone past the seller?
Right or wrong, any work prior was done for someone else.
The Pictures that I posted above is what I found in the car is what I think the owner did to it which was back in 2020. But again the car barely gets driven here a picture of the gas cap

View attachment 199317

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Is the gas tank suppose to have that hole in it like that I was reading somewhere on here if air gets in that鈥檚 not good maybe someone can elaborate on this?
Thank you

Premium Member
There is nothing functionally wrong there.
The little stainless flap looks to be manhandled and bent but its only purpose was the trigger the gas station fuel pump auto shut off if someone tred to hold a leaded fuel nozzle to the filler and pump.
Typically, that flap gets buggered when someone gets a siphon hose jammed and keeps pulling.
NOT your issue

Registered
Hello I just recently purchased a 1996 super sport Impala with 16,000 original miles no modifications whatsoever.
After driving it off the dealership I noticed it had low gas. Like the needle was in the red already.

i put a full tank of unleaded regular. While driving it on the freeway I noticed the check engine light was on? Any clue as to what this is? The bulk of the mileage was done by the original owner after that it had 2 more owners and they both barely drove it

both owners barely made 300 miles on it? Does this check engine light have something to do with it being not driven much?
Fuel pump and fuel filter. Mine had 2000 miles on it when my dad died and I inherited it in 2019. I had to change those. It has 4083 miles on it now. Just getting broken in. But use 93 octane in it and fuel system cleaner.

Registered
Hello I just recently purchased a 1996 super sport Impala with 16,000 original miles no modifications whatsoever.
After driving it off the dealership I noticed it had low gas. Like the needle was in the red already.

i put a full tank of unleaded regular. While driving it on the freeway I noticed the check engine light was on? Any clue as to what this is? The bulk of the mileage was done by the original owner after that it had 2 more owners and they both barely drove it

both owners barely made 300 miles on it? Does this check engine light have something to do with it being not driven much?
Fill up. Check engine lt. Check your gas cap seal. If you don't have a code reader then buy one. When something like that happens you can read and record the faults, clear them, and see if they reset and are real.

Registered

I didn't read every response to you, but has the gas cap been replaced? It could be as simple as a faulty, or even a loose fuel cap.

Premium Member
Post #7 he has code P0420

Has nothing to do with fuel cap, evap system which are generally in the P044x-P045x range

To add, while the 96 is technically an OBD2 car,
It is a rudimentary deal and if I recall correctly it may only do evap purge test P0441 and P0443 .

Dont think the 96 is even capable of detecting a gross leak P0455 , small leak P0442

Registered
My book reads that code as a catalytic converter problem, could be O2 sensors, but that usually reads as a bank 1 or bank 2 issue . As long as the check engine light isn't flashing, you can drive it. It needs to be checked by a reliable mechanic though
The car won't pass smog when you go to register it, with any check engine light. In Cali, this is the seller's responsibility for smog check that passes, DMV takes a dim view on dealers who try to "work" the system.
One question, why was the fuel tank replaced?
A '96 with that low a mileage needing a replacement fuel tank raises lots of questions from my viewpoint.
Good luck with the '96, they're fine cars, a good mechanic can usually get them running right,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My book reads that code as a catalytic converter problem, could be O2 sensors, but that usually reads as a bank 1 or bank 2 issue . As long as the check engine light isn't flashing, you can drive it. It needs to be checked by a reliable mechanic though
The car won't pass smog when you go to register it, with any check engine light. In Cali, this is the seller's responsibility for smog check that passes, DMV takes a dim view on dealers who try to "work" the system.
A '96 with that low a mileage needing a replacement fuel tank raises lots of questions from my viewpoint.
Good luck with the '96, they're fine cars, a good mechanic can usually get them running right,
Il

i just snapped a photo of the fule tank because it looked like it had a bent flap I don鈥檛 think it got replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I鈥檓 taking it back to the dealer even though I got a good grasp as to what I should do taking back to the dealer to have them clear the code would be my best ticket to get this ready to be registered.
Moving forward I am going to buy the device to read the code so In the future I can DIY by then I would鈥檝e gain more knowledge shoot just on this thread alone I鈥檝e gain SUPER GOOD insight! Thank you everyone!

Premium Member
The dealer needs determine the cause of the code , REPAIR the cause of the code, clear the code , then verify the code does not reset
This to ensure the issue is dealt with.
Because it is a cat efficiency code, it could be many things.

From a dealer, that low mileage, I can only imagine you paid a pretty penny.
Hold them to it.
It has to be legitimately emissions compliant in CA, not just squeaked through by the dealer somehow.

Registered
I feel that buying a 96 SS with 16k miles was a garage queen that did not move. If the car is not being used these hiccups are inevitable. I purchased a 95SS w/ 42k and needed to address numerous things just because it was never driven. Pressures build seals give out because of the years not being moved. I don鈥檛 feel that the dealership was fkn with you. You bought an old car regardless if it only has 1k miles. Look at the post that Scottdog posted about the tank being replaced. Right there is telling you have hasn鈥檛 been moved... Enjoy the SS and get your OBD2 scan tool.
Cheers

Registered
You believe what a used car salesman said? That car would never make it to to lot up here unless there was something wrong with it. Even then it would go to an auction. Look at the work done last year. That's an awful lot for a car with so few miles that hardly ever gets driven,

Reactions: Leo1979

Registered
You believe what a used car salesman said? That car would never make it to to lot up here unless there was something wrong with it. Even then it would go to an auction. Look at the work done last year. That's an awful lot for a car with so few miles that hardly ever gets driven,
No, just use common sense...

Registered
Most on here advise taking the car to a reputable mechanic for a thorough inspection BEFORE purchasing...

21 - 40 of 79 Posts